Downfalls and benefits of using a crt hdtv for a monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainer711

In Runtime
I am planning on using a 30 inch crt hdtv as a computer monitor. I know very little on the subject and have a few questions. Do you guys know how well a pc would handle putting out a 1080i resolution? What is the refresh rate usually on a tv? Is it normally that much lower than a pc monitor? Will there be a big quality difference between running a console in 1080I on the hdtv as apposed to running a pc at the same resolution on the same tv due to the computer not handling the signal well? Ive heard some nasty rumors about crt hdtv pc compatibility and want to know if they are true.

I know a bit about HDTV's, but on this one I'm Shakey. I can post what I found
I found this on google
Because of differences between computer display timing and
resolution and the standards for HDTV, most CRT HDTV's will not work with a PC unless a converter is used and the computer is capable of generating customized displays and timings. Many CRT HDTV manufacturers recommend against using their televisions with a PC.
This is MSFT
With that being said, I can't see why it couldn't be done. Media Center toughts being able to play through your TV, infact they even make distinction between HD and non-hd hookups.
It will probably depend on what OS sytem you have and how well you know your TV so you can get your CPU to the closest match.
Here is a page from MSFT talking about using a CRT
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_provider/film/DisplayTechnology.aspx

Yeah I think thats right. CRT is old technology using vacuums and tubes. All analog. I don't think they could have improved upon that to make it digital. I know you can buy an adapter to make CRT view HDTV. But that isn't true HD. That's just digital being converted to analog.

AnthraX said:
Yeah I think thats right. CRT is old technology using vacuums and tubes. All analog. I don't think they could have improved upon that to make it digital. I know you can buy an adapter to make CRT view HDTV. But that isn't true HD. That's just digital being converted to analog.

lol thats funny, vacuum tubes were used 50 years ago, today its all transistors. of course CRT's display HDTV, what do you think a CRT monitor is doing when you put the resolution at 1280x720 or higher?

Yeah, I don't know much about monitors or tvs. But CRT TV's don't display resolutions because they use follow the NTSC guidelines. Hence why when you plug in a computer to a TV, it doesn't display it like a monitor. Unless the TV is LCD.

Oh, also, there are still tubes in CRT's. Hence the name, Cathode Ray Tube. They just now also use transistors and the like.

You can have a Hi Def CRT. In fact there are many different types of high DEF TV's
LCD, Plasma, CRT, LCOS, DLP, RP, LCDRP...The list can go and is.

A CRT isn't tubes it is 1 big tube that shoots lots of electrons to the screen. If you shoot enough small electrons in a given area you can create a HD CRT.

What makes it high def is lines of resolution it can support at either progressive or interlaced. hence 720p or 1080i or 1080p.

Why Computers don't look good on older CRT TV's has to do with a variety of factors, Refresh rates (how fast the screen can clear the image) and interlacing (the bad flickering effect) being 2. Other things is resolution, picture quality as yit get further from center (I can't recall what this is called, but it's why flat screens/panels are better monitors)

Hope this helps some

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom