Midi Sound Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

squidlips

Beta member
Preface:

I was connecting up a microphone to my computer, and being too lazy to actually look around the back i just started putting it in each plug until it worked.
(Note: I tried it on the spare two sound card ports, but there was another pci card installed underneath with similar looking ports (turqoise, pink and a larger yellow one)that i tried unsuccesfully to put it into)

I then did some recording, but in the program I was recording in (Audacity) had no playback. I saved the file to an mp3, and it worked fine.

All mp3s etc are still working, but when i try and play midi's of any sort i have to turn ALL volume controls up to even hear the faintest whisper of it.

Questions:

Is it possible to kill midi playback but putting a microphone (turned on at the time) into the wrong port?

If so, then recommend me a new sound card :D If not,

What could be causing this problem?

When you access the volume sliders, either by right clicking the task bar speaker near the clock or under the control panel in speech and audio, ( assuming you are using windows XP ), do you have a slider that is for midi synth? That should be all the way up rather than anything else in most cases. Also, make sure the volume of your midi player application is up and that you have the latest drivers for your card. And maybe try a new player? You never did say what card you are using.

You mentioned having 2 sound cards "I tried it on the spare two sound card ports, but there was another pci card installed underneath with similar looking ports (turqoise, pink and a larger yellow one)that i tried unsuccesfully to put it into" You probably shouldn't have 2 sound cards unless you have some technical use for them. They can conflict and cause problems sometimes.

You really shouldn't start futzing around due to lazyness. A general rule is that the record color is reddish. That can be pink too.

Sorry, Realtek AC'97.

I only have one sound card, i was refering to the multiple ports on one card as opposed to entire cards.

It has never had problems before and I have had the correct driver, all sliders are up.

And i agree, gonna cut back on the 'futzing' around. Hehe. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom