To wait or not to wait? That is the question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
MY UNREAL2K7 BUILD

Here are the components that i've already purchased and have.

AMD Opteron 175 Denmark
Zalman 9500
ASUS A8N32 SLI
2 X 1G kit Corsair XMS 3500LL's
(2) WD Raptors 150G (RAID 0)
"I know $600 for 2 HDD's, should land me in a mental institution."
PCP&C Turbo-Cool 850w
(2) Plextor PX-716 AL/SW Slot Loading
X-FI Fatal!ty FPS
Mitsumi 8-1 Card Reader/Floppy
ThermalTake Shark Black

Roughly $2500

Here's the Question...
Should I go ahead and buy a Pair of THESE for SLI? And get this sucker built!!!

OR?

Should I wait until March for the G71's?

OR?

Should I buy (1) of the card I link above, then when the new G71's come out, sell that card or use NVIDIA'S step up program and buy the G71 card or cards?

Well? What would you do? Money isn't an issue.

Ste said:
If Money isn't an Issue such as you say why not wait for the FX-60 or get a 4400+ ?

I bought the Opty 175 about a month ago. I'm planning on overclocking it a bit. Originally I was going to go with the 4400+ but went with the Opty for OCin' purposes.

I guess I shouldn't have said money isn't an issue. I should have said, "I have a nice amount of disposible income."

I didn't go with the FX-60 because the Opty 175 will easily overclock over FX-60 speeds. I've got CCBWE 0544 XMPW stepping.

"ste" you didn't offer a suggestion or answer to my question?

If you're building this specifically with the intent of playing Unreal 3 I have to question why you don't just wait until the game is out or not...I made the mistake several months ago of buying the GT here so that I could play STALKER with all of its glory and it's nowhere to be found and won't be for another year...and of course I'm not saying buying the GT was a bad move but I would have felt much better getting a deal on the GS that is out now

So really it's up to you, you're really gambling and basing everything on speculation...I still stand firmly in saying a 6800GT will get by running the game on high

I know "gaara" but you have to understand... I'm freakin' impulsive as all heck. My current system is ok, but I just want more.

I know you hate "SLI" and you have good reason to, your sticky about SLI/Crossfire is hard fact. But, still my impulsiveness consumes me like a disease.

The simple fact of it all is I love building PC's. Most of the time I'm building budget / Mainstream PC's for average users. Once in awhile I get a chance to build something nice. I guess i'm addicted to building. I'm craving a high-end build...

Would you please stop putting people's names in quotes, "HAVOC2K5," its awkward.

Theres a lot of needless money wasting going on in that build. For one, are you planning to overclock the Corsair XMS? Because its a gamble to get one with TCCD, and even then, its not guaranteed to overclock as wel as other memory.

But enough about money wasting. I say wait for G71, the G70 is going to be second-best soon enough. The G71 is DEFINATELY coming out before UT2K7, and you don't want to regret spend money on something you don't need.

Then again, there's always eVGA's step-up program.

HAVOC2k5 said:
I know "gaara" but you have to understand... I'm freakin' impulsive as all heck. My current system is ok, but I just want more.

I know you hate "SLI" and you have good reason to, your sticky about SLI/Crossfire is hard fact. But, still my impulsiveness consumes me like a disease.

The simple fact of it all is I love building PC's. Most of the time I'm building budget / Mainstream PC's for average users. Once in awhile I get a chance to build something nice. I guess i'm addicted to building. I'm craving a high-end build...
So basically, you want to be told to SLI a pair of 7800GTX 256mb's.

Considering the fact that it seems you'll probably buy at least one card with a G71, it doesn't really matter what you do now. To minimize monetary loss, I'd either wait for the G71, or buy one GTX now to bate your appetite. And then send the GTX to my address when the G71 comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom