Loosening timings or use divider...

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomstick666

Daemon Poster
here is the noob OC question. which is generally better? loosening timing and OC or use divider and OC? my ram timings r 2-3-2-5. usin OCZ titaniul ddr400. im on x2 4800+. it could go till like 2.8~2.9ghz i think....

Its not really a science. I would start by seeing what the RAM could do, loosening timings and increasing vdimm as needed. Loosening timings as far as something like 3-3-3-8 shouldn't have much effect on bandwidth, so I would at least go that far assuming doing so increased its OC potential. At that point, you can then see if you still need to use a memory divider or not. The objective is to get both the RAM and CPU at their max stable speeds using a mem divider if necessary.

great. thx for the tip. i just didn know which timings to loosen...so ill try 3-3-3-8 and see how far it goes w/ 1:1. the cpu is already at max for its kind and x2 don OC that much so if it goes past 2.8ghz @ 1:1, im happy. and im not sure how this ram goes...its OCZ Titanium..not gold or platinum that ppl usually buy and OC well. so well see..

*edit* and does anyone know this OCZ titanium memorys r TCCD? i thought TCCD don like lots of voltages.

I don't know what chips those sticks use, but I doubt they're TCCD's. Best bet would be to check over at xtremesystens, I'm sure someone there would know, or they might already be listed in the guide they have.

idiotec said:
Its not really a science. I would start by seeing what the RAM could do, loosening timings and increasing vdimm as needed. Loosening timings as far as something like 3-3-3-8 shouldn't have much effect on bandwidth, so I would at least go that far assuming doing so increased its OC potential. At that point, you can then see if you still need to use a memory divider or not. The objective is to get both the RAM and CPU at their max stable speeds using a mem divider if necessary.
ok i tried what u said. lower the ram timings to 3-3-3-8 from 2-3-2-5 (OCZ titanium). right now its stable at FSB 231 x 12 = 2.772Ghz ram voltage at 2.8, chipset voltage @ 1.552. its little high and chipset (or mobo?) temp hits 60c in full load. is this bad for Lanparty Nf4SLI-DR? but cpu temp is pretty low. 29c ~ 44c@full load (cpu test on 3dmark06. in OCCT, it was lower temp) usually below or at 40c in games. i OC it to 2.82Ghz and i played BF2 highest settings for 3 hours straight no problem but in OCCT there was an error. i think its the ram bottle necking since its at 1:1. i was hoping for stable 2.8ghz+ @ 1:1. but its close enough... but thinking that CPU can go little higher, do u think i should use divider and push the CPU more or stick w this?
thanks any help will be appriciated.

The general consensus is that the faster you can get your CPU to the better. If it takes a divider to get a faster CPU I would say go for it. A 9/10 divider wouldn't make much difference at all in ram performance but the increase in CPU speed is probably definately noticable.

Flying-Squirrel said:
The general consensus is that the faster you can get your CPU to the better. If it takes a divider to get a faster CPU I would say go for it. A 9/10 divider wouldn't make much difference at all in ram performance but the increase in CPU speed is probably definately noticable.
great. thx for the advice, Flying-Squirrel. ill try 9/10 divider and see how it goes.
ill post later for the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom