Raptor in Raid 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurt4044

Baseband Member
I have decided to go with 2 raptor 74 Gig drives as my next upgrade. I have a P4 2.4 with a ASUS P4g800-v motherboard. It does have two SATA connectors, but does not appear to support a raid environment. This is my current PC, so what would be the best way to set up these two new drives? I have never set up raid 0 before. I thought I needed to select it when installing the operating system. That being the case will it be software controlled..I have read that hardware controlled is better. I will be installing Win XP Pro. Any insight is appreciated.

Can you explain a little more? Woud this still be software based? If so would I just load the driver upon loading the op system?

When you are loading the system It will say, "Press F3 to install a 3rd party RAID driver". The RAID driver will need to be either downloaded from the Interweb, or you may have a floppy that came with the MOBO or HDD's.

Ok.. I guess that is my question. Since I don't think my motherboard suppports RAID configuration... How will I set up these two new drives? Would I need to buy a card? If so any suggestions? I know what you are saying about selecting F3 when you have a mobo that supports it... but what about when it doesn't? Thanks for the help!!

I dont know if you can with your current setup. My mobo does have a raid controller and what I had to do was tie the 2 drives together with the integrated raid controller, then install a raid driver when i loaded windows so it knew that the drives existed in raid or something. Did I do something wrong? It appears to be working for the past few weeks but did I install the raid driver for no reason?

Its F6 :) but when i try to press it, it doesnt go anywhere?? and i press F6 about 10 times, and then it just keeps on loading ARG!!

make sure you enable raid in your bios if your mobo supports it

It will keep loading.. you are just setting that option... Let it load and it will ask you to install the raid driver....

ok if your board does not support raid you will need to buy a pci sata raid controller card. the card will come with the drivers you need to install windows. keep in mind you will be limited to the 133 speed of the pci buss but sata1 is only 150 and you will not max out the drives. the raptors rule I have a raid 0 setup with them and it is ligtning fast. keep in mind you will want another drive for important data. you should only use the raid array for your os, apps and games. enjoy the power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom