oppy 165

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bilbotubbins

Baseband Member
what sort of speeds could i get out of an opteron 165 on air cooling in a soprano case with the stock fans. would i be better getting the 165 and ocing it instead of the x2 3800.

keep in mind that i havent overclocked before.

thanks

You'll probably get around 2.5-2.9Ghz depending on what week you get, i seen a couple of week 50's around here, dont know what they do. But for OC'ing defintely go for the Opty most likely, and with the 2MB cache its a steal :)

Yes you would have to OC your RAM as well. If you dont want to, you could always place a divider on it. My 165 week CCB1E 0550VPMW should be here today, this stepping has reports of hitting 2.7GHz at stock voltage.

003 said:
Yes you would have to OC your RAM as well. If you dont want to, you could always place a divider on it. My 165 week CCB1E 0550VPMW should be here today, this stepping has reports of hitting 2.7GHz at stock voltage.

LEAVE THE IHS ON THIS ONE!!!

I've read several places that Opty's don't respond well to memory dividers? Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Well, I used a memory divider because my RAM isn't good for overclocking. I clocked my Opty 165 at 2.2 GHz and still see idle temps around 30*C and load temps of around 40*C. The memory divider hasn't been a problem for me. One day when i get new memory, i plan on removing the divider and OC'ing it.

I'm confused now. You HAVE to OC your ram when you OC your CPU? I was planning on getting a 165 but I have crappy ram.....

Is a memory divider a piece of hardware you buy or is it software? I'm sorry for the noobosity but I have never heard of any of this before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom