Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoW4yOut

Beta member
Recently I built my new system and I used my old hard drive. Everything seems to work correctly in the BIOS and everything is recognised, my hard drive is set as the primary master and temperatures are fine. I save and exit, try to restart and a I get a blue screen for a second then it restarts itself. Is this because of my old hard drive and the preinstalled version of home on it? I don't have much experience in this so I have no idea about transfering hard drives. I'm not too sure it isn't a hardware problem but I cannot see why it would be and have double checked everything.
Thanks.
Specs:
Athlon 64 3200+
A8N SLi S939
PNY Verto GeForce 6600GT PCI-E
1Gb DDR400 PC3200 Kingston

I think windows doesnt like it when you put all new hardware in and try to boot of an old copy of windows with a different hardware profile. Is reformatting an option, or can you not do it because of lack of CD or need the data on your old drive?

I'd be ok with formatting, but I wanted to become more certain before I did, just incase it is hardware related or can be solved otherwise. I do lack an XP disk, mind. Hence pre installed.

The reason you are experiencing problems is b/c of driver conflicts with the new hardware. You will need to reformat. I have recently heard that it IS possible to perform the "Repair" option to fix this issue, However I have never had any luck with doing it that way. I have always just reformatted the drive.

Are you certain it is not a hardware issue? Like I said everything responds fine and the BIOS recognises everything. I can't see the blue error because it is on the screen for like half a second. But I know it says drive.
I decided I'm going to buy a new hard drive, as I don't want to loose the data on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom