64 bit upgrade, need help with which one to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deimos

In Runtime
I want to upgrade from my anthlon 3000+ (OCed to 2.17) to a 64 bit prosessor. All i want is names, ill go and do the hunting unless you know a really good deal. I've also heard of the physX card that you put in your pci slot and its does for prossesing what video cards do for graphix. I'm leaning towards a new prossesor though.
in advance... Thank you

Well, you'll have to upgrade your motherboard most likely. It all depends on what you want to do with your system. If you just want a basic 64 bit processor, go with the AMD Athlon 64 series. If you want a dual core version, go with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 series. If you wanna overclock go with the Socket 939 Opteron series.

You probably don't want the 3800+. I bought the 3000+ and it's currently running at that speed, no problem. If you're going to spend more, I'd advice you to go with the AMD Athlon 64 3700+ since it has a 1mb L2 cache. It'll overclock a long way. That will be a fast processor, lemme tell ya.

Ryan

I know its impossible to tell exactly how high you can overclock cpu's, but how high do you think i could oc the 3700+. assuming that im using the stock heatsink and fan

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
I'd advice you to go with the AMD Athlon 64 3700+ since it has a 1mb L2 cache.
Ryan

wow your right i missed the 512kb L2 catch
I think i might buy the one you suggested. also, supposing i do get that, what mobo should i get?

for overclocking, DFI Lanparty Ultra-D. It's super-high quality with all the bells and whistles. It's the favorite board everywhere.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom