RAM Dual Channel Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

prohaska41

Solid State Member
I currently have an older Gigabyte Mobo, but plan to make a new system when I have the money. What im basically doing is buying things for this system that can also be used in the new system. For instance I was going to buy 2GB Dual Channel RAM for my current mobo (new one has the same PC and Pin) and then put it in my new system when the time comes. I dont think 2GB is necessary for me right now because of my current CPU (xp2500) in my current system. What I want to do is buy a 1GB (512x2) set and then later buy another set to put into my new system to get my 2GB. The point is to get the 1GB now for my current system and use it now lol. One thing that is the problem with my current mobo is the manual says I can't fill all 4 slots and get dual channel, whats up with that? I have 512 (256x2) right now and I wanted to put the 2 512's in and put the other two 256's in the remaining slots to have 1.5GB. Why would I not be able to get dual channel in my mobo if I fill the slots. If it does run single channel, what performance decrease will I see, expecially in games like BF2. Is the full slots, no dual channel common in current mobos? Someone please give me some advice.

-Kyle

yeah, that's common that you lose dual channel features when you fill all four slots. What I'm thinkin is that you should just buy a single stick of 1gb ram that you'll be satisfied with. Then when you build, buy a second one just like it and you'll have 2x1gb sticks of ram. On socket A processors, dual channel ram doesn't add much performance, so don't worry about losing dual channel capabilities. This is definately what I would do, but the ultimate choice is up to you.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom