RAID 0 Drive Add

Status
Not open for further replies.

RicoDirenzo

Fully Optimized
I'm adding a new SATA 250 gig WD to my system next week. The current SATA (250 gig WD SATA) single has a fresh install of XP Pro. Once I raid both dirves RAID 0 (Mirror) will I have to reinstall windows?? RAID is not a current part of my expertise. I bought this drive for storage speed and learning!! :)

yep will have to reinstall windows if you are using the raid array for your os. You have to do the cool press f6 option to load raid drivers when installing windows. keep in mind a stripped array (raid 0) stores data simultaneouusly on to drives and is fast however if one of the drives fails you will loose all data. Make sure you have a data backup plan in place.

I knew that......I was hoping a total RAID geekazoid would tell me different.....now I have to call MS and do the one billion code key activation with the server bot!! Dang!!!!!

Unfortunately for a RAID 0 array, all data on both disks will be destroyed. Then you will need to reinstall drivers and then windows. Sorry dude :(

But, for a RAID 1 Array you don't lose any of your data. The Data on your primary disk will be mirrored on your "mirror" disk. You use the CREATE & DUPLICATE Feature. (Yes you can do this with windows install on the primary disk. IF you want to destroy the data on both disks you use the CREATE ONLY feature.

Here is a good website that outlines what i'm trying to explain:
It is also a great guide to RAIDing with Windows XP. Bookmark this one, it's really good.
http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/mb/abit/kx7-333/raid4.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom