CPU upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

little a

In Runtime
hi all

still on the hunt for a CPU replacement for my vaio notebook rebuild.

this is an old machine and although it still works well, it's pretty slow at 733mghz (PIII). i'm looking for an alternative CPU to upgrade. the current specs of the PIII in it are:

socket 478
1.6Volts
24.6 watts
internal clock speed 533 mghz

what's the worst thing that could happen if i get an off the shelf CPU like this one?

better yet, anybody have any ideas as to finding something else that might fit (even if its only a little faster, say 1.0ghz)? TIA

a

it really woudln't make much of a differnt from that cpu 733mhz then a 1ghz cpu what you should do is call them and see what available compatible cpus u can use with that computer

it has to be socket 370. Slot one is huge. No way that sucker could fit in a laptop. You can get a pretty zippy high-clocked celeron. The best you're gonna do at a REASONABLE cost is about 1ghz. They go up to 1.3 if I'm not mistaken, but the price is crazy.

Ryan

They're going for like 25-50 bucks on e-bay. If you downgrade to like an 866, they're way cheaper. But then on the other hand, a few mhz wouldn't be much of a difference.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom