Upgrading comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimp

In Runtime
Ello :)

I'm looking to upgrade my comp. Here are my current specs:

ASRock P4VT8+ (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)
Intel Celeron (Eurgh) 2133 Mhz
2 x 256 MB PC2700 DDR
Radeon 9550 (256 MB)
Q-Tec PSU 450W Dual Fan

At the moment my computer is really struggling to play Battlefield 2 on low settings at 800x640 resolutions and I really want to play at Medium settings (without too much slowdown as for it to be impossible to shoot) at 1024x768, however, im not too sure what parts I need to upgrade. I don't really have a big budget (a little bit flexible) so the cheapest possible would be great. The gfx card HAS to be Nvidia though.

Thanks a lot :D

well i can work with you but i first need to know your budget. right now i am thinking at least a new videocard and a 512mb stick of ram, that way you will have one gig. I cant reccomend a new videocard now because i havent seen the budget but if you want the cheapest i'd say a 660gt would be good. However a 6600 would be the absolute cheapest. Just drop a number in the text for your budget and i cna hook you up lol.;)

Here's a link to your mobo's manual:
http://www.asrock.com/Drivers/Manual/P4VT8P_UM.pdf

I agree with BiGyLiLuPdAmIdL in that your graphics card is slowing you down, and your system is starving for RAM. According to your mobo manual, using PC2700 works with 2 DIMM slots with a max of 2gig, PC3200 with 1 DIMM with a max of 1 gig.

You could go with PC3200, max of 1 gig, to increase your speeds.

Your mobo can handle up to a 800 FSB, so if you wanted to upgrade your CPU you could look for the fastest socket 478 you could afford.

Celerons work, but they can't hold a candle to a full P4.

Also, make sure your system is clean from viruses and adware/spyware. Turn off any unneeded programs running in the background (keep your anti-virus and firewall running). Make sure your hard drive is defrag so your comp can access its info quicker.

If you can squeeze out $285, then look at these:

BFG Tech OC Geforce 6800GS 256MB AGP 4X/8X
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143045
Lifetime warranty, Core clock 370MHz
$194.99 + $5.99 Three Day Shipping

Patriot Signature Series 1GB DDR 400 (PC 3200)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220030
$78.50 + $4.81 Three Day Shipping

Thanks a lot guys. As for budget, I have around £200/$350. Would I be able to get the most for my money if I imported from an American company?

As for the gfx card, I'm guessing I need at least a 6600 but which is the better one? a GS or a GT?

And finally, do I have to buy a new PSU? or should I be fine with the one I got?

Would I be able to get the most for my money if I imported from an American company?

Import costs might kill that deal. See what you can order domestically first.

What country/region are you in? We might be able to point you to some decent sites.

As for the gfx card, I'm guessing I need at least a 6600 but which is the better one? a GS or a GT?

The GT is a bit cheaper than the GS, but I think the GS gives a better performance.

The GS can be overclocked over the GT's clock speed... or so I have heard.

And finally, do I have to buy a new PSU? or should I be fine with the one I got?

450W should handle your rig, even with the new graphics card.

I'm in the UK. The reason I asked about the PSU is because I don't think Q-tec is really a top branded product like Antec.

"450W should handle your rig, even with the new graphics card."
quoted by trotter.

he already answered your question. Yes the 450watt psu should be enough for your system regardless of the brand. usualyy when people fry their system because of the psu it's becasue they try to do too much with not enough watts. 450 is plenty for what you are having.
My friend was tryin to run an athlon 64 3000+ s754 wiht 1 gig of ram and a 6600gt all on a 200 watt psu. He didnt knwo much about computers he just wanted to build but using his old dell case and psu. I found out and i immediatley bought him a new psu. 400 watt antec.

I have never heard of Q-tec, but y'all have different stuff on that side of the pond.

Maybe a few of our resident UKers will chime in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom