Slow Down HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

meefle

In Runtime
Well my computer was first running great, no lag, multy tasking was great, never slowed down. I installed a game (silkroad online) and i installed the driver for the VIA chipset. well after i installed it and restarted, when i get to the windows screen, the computer just restarts. so i wiped the harddrive, reinstalled windows and now my computer is slower than it was before (but not so slow its impossible to work on). i did a virus scan, disk clean-up, installed spk2, pretty much everything i had before i wiped the hd (cept silkroad).

is there anything i can do? i have a coupon for system mechanic 6 by iolo that i might get. Is there ways i can tweat my performance until i get sm6?

Assuming you have XP, Go to Control Panel>Performance&Maintenance>System>Click the "hardware" tab>Device Manager>Find what you're looking for on the provided list> Right click on it>then click "Properties >and then the "drivers" tab. One option shown is "Roll back driver"

Personally, I think your hdd is crapping on you but I've been wrong before.

Defragging isn't going to do much good being as you just re-formatted and it shouldn't need defragging.

Major Geeks has some freeware utilities that can help you check your hdd health. It'd be worth checking out if all else fails.

Look under "Drive Utilities". The freeware is mixed with shareware so make sure of what you're downloading.

One diagnostic for Maxtor that is free is Here

Hope this helps!
Corey:)

ok well i reformatted again yesterday (after usin a bootable cd with powermax on it to check for errors and it said i had none) Well it seems to be running like it was before with no slow down anymore. I'm goin to get a new hd soon, probably a Serial ATA150. thanks for the help though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom