Using an old HD with a new HD on a new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

infiltrator7

Daemon Poster
I just built my computer a couple weeks ago, and it has a 250gb SATA II hd. i have all of my music files, etc, on my old computers HD. Is it possible to install my old HD into my new computer without having to wipe anything? i've read that windows needs to be reinstalled, but its already installed onto my new HD. could i just delete windows from my old HD then add that to my new computer? also, can I use RAID (this old hd is a 40gb IDE i believe) and not have to wipe anything?

sorry if i sound a bit confusing or i asked too much.

Assuming you've already got windows installed on the new drive, just plug your old one in as a slave. Then you can copy your music and whatever else to the new drive.

ok, so i could plug in my old drive to an IDE slot (i have one used with a master/slave cd drives, and one slot open) and have that run alone, then delete windows from the old hd?

I would put it in your new PC, copy important files over to new HDD, then format old HDD, then put files back, depends if you want to keep the old HDD for storing those files or not.

yeah that sounds like a good idea/alternative. i'll have to think it over. i'll probably use your idea though and copy, wipe, then put it back in the original computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom