Dell giving me problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

r1y23

Baseband Member
ok well i was working on a guys computer and it was a dell, and i was seeing it i could upgrade it and i took all the cables out of the mobo to see if mine would fit, well it wouldnt and when i put all the cables back in (they are all in the right spots, and in securly) the computer would not turn on, But the power light on the front of the case turns orange and nothing else turns on, the Usb devices do not get power but, the 2 network cards in the expansion slots do. Now i checked the conection from the mobo to the case power button and LED, on a dell this is one big 6 pin connector. it is in securely.

BTW it is a dell 4100 built about 4 years ago. If anyone has an idea of what could be i could use all the help i can get.

Dell is horrible. They usually use proprietary products, which means you'll have to order part upgrades through them or order Dell certified parts.

Yet another reason not to blow your dough on a Dell. I'm on a Dell right now that I've had for a few years, and I will never be going back.

ya well i knew that but thought i could just take the whole mobo out but they put this metal divider in the case so you cant put new ones in.

now this one wont even start up it only gives me a orange light on the power LED and then nothing else.

I'm pretty sure the motherboard cannot. I haven't heard of a successful motherboard upgrade in a Dell.

i would reset bios if i could, nothing will turn on even thought the mobo has power

Check to see if the 6 Pin frontpanel connecter is connected the proper way. What I mean is, it might be possible to turn it around the other way. It sounds to me like if all you did was remove wires, then it's probably something directly related to wiring.

if not, pull the CMOS battery for a minute stick it back in and see if that works. or theres a cmos reset jumper on the board, i have a dimension 4100 also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom