fps & Hz Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerGrip

Baseband Member
OK I am trying to upgrade my computer and I came across some stuff about upgrading your cable. I want to buy a DVI-A cable. (DVI to VGA). One thing I noticed is that I can't get a solid answer about fps & Hz. If my monitor is running at 60Hz how many "frames per second" is that or do both have nothing to do with each other??? Thanks for the help.

But what is the diffrence between fps and Hz. From what I understand Hz is the times that your monitor redraws the image onto the screen and fps is how many frames per second your video card outputs. If your VC outputs 150 fps and your monitor is running at 60Hz then really your screen is only running at 60fps due to the low Hz. Is this completly wrong or what?

The best way I can explain it is :

Hz is the how many times your monitor will refresh the object. So 60Hz is the object being refreshed 60 times per second. Frames per second is how many frames your GPU can process per second.

Ok, that actually helps a lot. 2 more questions if you don't mind.

How, or is it possible, to adjust your fps?? I know how to adjust Hz just not "fps."

If your monitor is running at 60Hz and your Card is pumping 100 fps does that mean you are really only viewing at 60fps??

Thanks for your help. I have no idea how any of this stuff actually works. (I can build a pc and add a water-cooling kit and the works but when it comes to frequencies and the likes I am a noob)

If your monitor is running at 60Hz and your Card is pumping 100 fps does that mean you are really only viewing at 60fps??

Yes.

Your eyes will view the game at 60 fps... However your game will seem smoother than when the FPS were actually at 60FPS b/c of the processing speed of those frames.

Hope that makes sense.

Adjusting your FPS can sometimes be done through console commands of some games. It can also be done by OCing your GPU as well.

Fantastic. /props to you cuz u answered my question quickly and it was exactly what I needed to know. Thanks man.

Sweet, I was actually going to Google something similar to that. bradybnmci you answered my unasked questions! yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom