How to Reset Your CMOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHAWN

Field Engineer
There are 2 ways you can reset your bios.

1. On the motherboard there is a small watch battery. Remove this battery along with the power cable from the power supply. Hold down the power button to fully discharge the system. Wait 2-3 minutes then reinstall the battery and plug in your system. Your reset is now complete

2. Some motherboards have a 3 pin jumper by the battery. Lets say that the jumper is on pins 2 and 3. Remove the jumper while the machine is OFF and place onto pins 1 and 2. Power on your machine for a minute. (Note: Your system will not POST). Shutdown your machine and put the jumper back to pins 2 and 3. Your reset is now complete

This is a great troubleshooting step for those of you having POST issues or no POSTing at all. Like other troubleshooting steps, this will not always work but usually will depending on the problem.

I am not responsible for any damage that my advice may cause. Use this information at your own risk.

nitestick...
I believe they are presently working on articles like this so posters can read them before making 'Redundant' posts.
Of course as we know...... a lot of new posters won't read them.
Shawn.... step#2.
MY MANUAL says: "Do not power-on with the jumper in the 'clear position', you may damage the board." Since the battery is the power source for the Cmos/Bios..... there is no need for main power to be on......... @ MSI

JKnPA said:
Shawn.... step#2.
MY MANUAL says: "Do not power-on with the jumper in the 'clear position', you may damage the board." Since the battery is the power source for the Cmos/Bios..... there is no need for main power to be on......... @ MSI

That is interesting because I do it all the time and it usually works however I have never damaged a board before.

You dont have to power on your machine, all i do is move from 1-2 to 2-3 for 10 seconds then move it back to 1-2 and CMOS is clear :D but my computer boots up even if i set my CPU at 4.0Ghz it just wont past the verifying DMI pool data and backup the cmos :D

PZ.....
Thank you.........
Shawn.....
Just because you didn't kill your 'mobo', doesn't mean the process is correct; you may have damaged ICs within the CMOS that you don't know about....... yet!
The normal jumper positions are 1-2, not 2- 3.
* MSI probably just put that 'Warning" in their manuals
just to scare everybody......... FWIW....
Ste.... You are 'clearing the CMOS and 'resetting the BIOS'

http://www.tyan.com/support/html/clear_CMOS.html

The CMOS is special memory where your BIOS settings are stored. The CMOS battery is a back-up power source when the PC is turned off. Removing this battery when the PC is off, results in the clearing of settings in this special memory (CMOS). Those settings will reverted back to default.

The reason you remove the battery for a extended period of time is due to the Motherboard & CMOS's ability to retain a charge. By waiting a period of time (10 seconds to whatever) you ensure that all electrical charges will be dissipated. Then the CMOS will no longer retain your saved settings - BIOS reverting back to default. The CMOS Clear Jumper is basically a CMOS battery Bypass. Change the PINS and the battery no longer powers the CMOS. The waiting period still applies.

"The only time you want to use "CMOS Battery removal or CMOS Clear" is when you have made changes to your BIOS's settings and are unable to boot or re-access your BIOS." i.e (Overclocking or incorrect settings)."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom