first timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

snypercore

Daemon Poster
i want to overclock my cpu however my knowledge of this is very low and i have googled and researched and read 2 tutorials but im stil;l confuzzled as they all go in to great detail which i am not farmiliar with so can anyone actually help me do this i have knowledge of pc hardware and parts such as jumpers cpus etc...so help would be nice im not sure wot a BIOS is but if sum1 tells me how to find it or show i will .. my system specs are

p.s all the information i can find on my CPU

AMD athlon(tm) processor - 1.04ghz would liek it to be near to 1.50ghz

256mb ram

windwos xp pro SP1

help would be appreciated

ps . sorry to double post but i have read the sticky adn would just liek a basic list of instructions not a complete guide...i could research anythign i dont understand onm the "list"

Ok well a BIOS (I think its Basic Input Output Service) is part of the firmware that comes with your motherboard. You can usually press a key to get into the bios, it will say something like press f10 to enter setup. As for overclocking, well theres almost no way you could get that to 1.5ghz. If your computer is a prebuilt the BIOS may also be locked so you cant change the Front side bus frequency. For now just get into the BIOS and see what it lets you do, dont save the settings for now.

ok so i restarted my pc and hit the DEL key and this came up

AMIBIOS simple setup utility

then with loadsa options but i selcted CPU PnP setup and then i was hit with

CPU brand AMD K7
CPU Type athlon XP
CPU speed 100/100 MHz
CPU core voltage 1.760 V
CPU frequency 100MHz
DRAM Frequency 100Mhz

i could then change the value of CPU speed to 133mhz and then the other values would AUTO change to fit this but that was all....p.s my pc was custom built not prebuilt please help

thanks for the reply and help

It is probably a Palomino core downclocked to 100Mhz FSB. As far as I know all Athlon XP's use 133MHz bus speed, not 100. You should be able to set it at 133MHz without problems. But wait for somebody else to confirm cause I am not completely sure. The RAM is DDR, right?

The multiplier is 10.5x because 10.5 x 100 = 1050MHz. I think you have the exact same CPU I do. Putting it at 133MHz will result in exactly 1.4GHz (AMD Athlon XP 1600+).

so if i change it to 133mhz this will increase speend...and how can i tell if its getting to hot...ps as u seem to have same cpu as me u no wot temp it should be rufly if i change it? thanks for all the help

dam really sorry to bouble post again but forgot when i change the cpu speed the other values changhe but i can change one and not the other by presssing + - keys so shall i only change the cpu speed?

You can change the others, but you will probably have to select "manual" or "user" on some menu item up there to unlock the options.

My temps are around 45-50 on 1.4GHz. I have it overclocked to 1.62GHz and my temps are now 50-55 (celcius). But I have a crappy cooler.

If your CPU is indeed the same as mine you can simply set it at 133MHz. The Vcore voltage at 1.760 is default, so it should run completely stable at 1.4GHz like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom