When is it time for a new rig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiDrIoT69

In Runtime
Im currently using the rig in my sig. I had it for almost 3 years now and wondering when is it a good time to get a new rig?

The reason i ask is my optical drives just stopped working, not sure if there burnt out or something, but it got me thinking.

If i do get a new rig, it will best the best it can be.

Also, is it safe to re-use my ram in a new rig, so i'd only have to buy 1 gb.

I don't know much about ATI gfx cards, but the rest seems fine for about another year and a half. Ok, maybe not that long, but a good amount.

Looks a nice system. Have you overclocked it at all? If not maybe overclock and see if you gain performance that keeps you going.
If i were you i would wait for abit untill a few prices drop, and get some nice stuff :D

Yuck, X800 Pro....i think I remember you getting one about the same time I did. I say wait for June, and get a dual-core Opteron or Athlon X2 and Nvidia G80-core based video card (8800 series). Now is not a good time to build from scratch unless you absolutely can't wait. If you want to upgrade now, just get new optical drives and replace your X800 Pro with a 6800GS or 7800GT if you have the money. Your graphics card is the only thing that is really outdated in that system, everything else will last a bit longer.

Your best bet is to wait for this summer. Go for some better RAM than your corsair too, if you do wait. Get some OCZ or G.Skill performance RAM.

Just buy a eVGA 6800GS and another gig of ram and you'll be set for another 2years, and upgrade to a 64 4000+ or a X2 3800+ if you money left over.

Ahh thanks for the awesome info. Yeah ive been thinking about doing that soon. So whats the best ram out there? I remember when i got my rig and was asking about ram etc, people said Corsair is the way to go, but that was...3 years ago or so.

So whats the best RAM. Could anyone link the processor Ridlyn posted, because i always get mixed up. Also with a new processor, wont i need a new Mobo?

Is the 7800GT best card out there right now? Wish i knew what my PSU was, forgot to put it in sig.

Since i wont need a new case, and a few other accessories in my sig, i may just upgrade to the 7800GT (if its the best out there) and get some more RAM and a new processor (maybe if i need a new Mobo).

If i upgrade my graphic card and get more ram, would i need a new processor? or am i good for a bit. I may need a new PSU.

Also, if you have a spare moment, please check out my optical problem:

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88704

PS: Ive never overclocked in my life, how do i do it?

Ohh bloody thats nice. I may just have to get that, and swap out my corsair (or still use it if thats safe).

no, you'll need the faster ram by itself if you're going to overclock. The only way you'll get the old stuff to work with it is if you run a memory divider. And if you're doing that, you just wasted a bunch of money on the new ram because you're not using it for what you paid for!

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom