AMD Processor vs Intel Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
then take it out and hit it with a hammer, have a cry and go buy an x2. thought i'd put it subtly. meh i suppose this thread is AMD vs. Intel so we can act like fanboys.

I saw a PC they were selling for $4500 and it has a Pentium 4 640, 512MB RAM and a geforce 6600...

I wouldn't even pay half that...

**** what in **** was the pricing department smoking. even if they had that at say $1500 i wouldn't buy it unless it came with a 42" plasma screen.

BlkShdw88 said:
unless you are willing to spend on extra cooling or do a bit of work to keep it running cool

I own a prescott, (wish I had an Amd), but either way, aftermarket cooling helps a ton. I installed a $59 (cad), Coolermaster Hyper48 and my temp right now is 36.5 at idle. And I had the HS/F off 10 days ago, so artic silver not fully set yet......Ambient temp is 21 degrees celcius. It used to idle at 52 degrees, ouch....

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6389077-1.html

thats another version of the dual core duel i stumbled across. its the Athlon X2's vs. the Pentium D's this time though rather than the server cpu's. no doubt someone else already posted this somewhere but its a good read. summary: the X2's win every round and in one round the entire X2 range beat the Pentium D's including the EE (about $1600 au). so i'll take my X2 any day :D

Okay, I've got half way through, its time for the fact, most Game Rigs and Home PC's (General Use) run AMD as long as there not packaged by Dell! And Buisness PC's and Laptops Intels. If I got A PC tomorough I whould get an AMD, becuese I want poweful inexpensive processing power for the future. If I was to get a laptop I whould get a Intel. I've used both Intel and AMD quite alot over the years, and love them both!

those turions from AMD look quite nice.

about media center pc's: you can easily keep a cpu cool in a small chassis as long as you take several precautions. The HSF is applied correctly with thermal paste, there is some airflow, and you dont use a cpu that generates a lot of heat like a Prescott or Dual Core CPU like X2.

With a regular CPU like a Venice, Sempron Palermo or even the older Athlon XP's you can get a HTPC with ample processing power. If you want to run a cpu in a case that is very small that has little airflow you may want to look into the Pentium M's or underclocking your CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom