Solid State Member
X850 XT Vs. 6800 GS?

Hi,

I have just built a new machine of the following spec:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+;
2 x 512MB Corsair PC3200 CAS2.5 Memory;
ASUS A8N SLi Deluxe Motherboard;

and the usual hard drive, dvd rw stuff!

I havent yet purchased a graphics card, because of a) funds! (payday in a week!) and b) am unsure of what to get.

My budget of about £150-160 will let me look at a Powercolor X850XT 256MB PCI-E Card, and I was going to get that, but after looking around the forums here, I have noticed a lot of peoplea rating the GEforce 6800, and has now left me unsure! - Especially as my Mobo has SLI Capabilities!

After looking through these forums, I'm considering an X850 until the 7800 prices drop and then getting myself one (or two?!) of these.

I currently use a Radeon 9800 pro in my older machine, and have always found it excellent for games(well, back in the day!)

Does anyone use the powercolor x850 card? any pros/cons? How does it compare with the NVidia line-up?

If anyone could make any recommendations, that would be great!

I have posted a poll; although i may have made the choices a bit vague: the choices are:
Which is better/ what one would you purchase:

ATI = X850 XT
NVidia = 6800 GS

Thanks, Lance.

I still am firm on the fact that the x850 XT is a better card, but it is not worth spending that much more money compared to a 6800gs. I voted the 6800GS because its close in performance, and it is considerably cheaper.

thanks, aaronkupen. I have found two different websites selling the cards; one sells the Powercolor X850XT at £162, the other sells the MSI GeForce 6800 GS at £164, both including delivery.

Seeing as they are both the same price, would you say the x850 outperforms the 6800? I mainly play games like Doom3, Farcry, and Half-Life 2. I have read that the 6800 has more support for features and graphical effects, does this have much impact on gaming quality?

Like I said before, hopefully the card will be a stop gap for about 6-12 months until the Geforce 7800's come down to a more affordable price!

thanks.

I have an X850 XT, and I would NOT get it. It lacks PSM 3.0, which is a vital component. Go for the 6800 GS.

The truth:
The X850 has more brute power, and it will almost always beat the 6800GS (even overclocked) in terms of FPS (mabey not in Doom 3). BUT, it is WAY overpriced, and it lacks SM3, which is actually not as big of a deal as most of you make it out to be. IMO, SM3 is kind of a flop, it is going to be replaced by SM4 very quickly. The only game I know of that is going to make use of SM3 is UT2007, but the truth is that a GeForce 6 level card won't run it very well. And it will have fallback to SM2. Also, FYI, both the GeForce 6 series and GeForce 7 series fail the SM3 WHQL tests. My vote is for the 6800GS.

People shouldn't even consider the X800 series anymore. Do people not know about the X1800 series? Maybe you should look into the X1800XL if you want ATI. But still, I vote for the 6800GS because if its price and its massive overclockability that makes it almost on par with 7 series cards.

SM3 does have a future btw, because Unreal Engine 3 will be basically a standard engine for the games of the next few years.

from what ive heard ati owned the 9xxx generation, but nvidia is much better this generation.

So you were wise in getting a ati then, but it would be best to go nvidia this round. screw loyalty :)

ATI has been putting out some awsome cards lately. I have had both nVidia and ATI and I like them both. I think there are tremendous offerings by both companies at the present moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom