Please critique my future AMD setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
sickness said:
You've only got one video card selected, do you really need a SLI motherboard?

I figure Ill get another sometime in the future.

Guys, I'm up to $2,769.35. I'd like to get this down a bit since I will be paying for most if not all of this thing. I beleive the PSU could be changed to save some cash. I dont want to cheap out but I would love to keep the price down.

If money is an issue ditch that cpu and get a 4800 x2 if you dont want to OC or a opteron 170 if you do want to OC. That will save you quite a lot, that CPU is great but isnt worth the bang you get for the buck. Definitly go 2gb of ram, you dont need that motherboard really since your not using SLI. You said in the future you will get another one... ya well I say screw that, in the future if you need an upgrade just get a new generation card, it will be better then 2 slid 7800gtx's. Don't cheap out on a power supply, a bad PSU could mean you damage your parts if something goes wrong.

u dont need ethernet card. cuz the mobo has nice built in ethernet (x2 ports).
for PSU, i have OCZ powerstream 600W they r good but little too expensive IMO.
OCZ Modstream 520W is good also. its about $100+. and for sound card, x-fi extrememusic is recommended for games. also its $100+. i think only x-fi supports EAX 3.0? 4.0? or something. and the case u choose, that 1 is heavey as ****. cuz only the front panel is made of aluminum and the rest is steel. (about 30lb heaveir than the all aluminum one) +it gets way hotter than aluminum1.

If you're going to SLI sometime in the future get a PSU in the 7-800 watt range. And if you're going GTX, get the 512mb...if they're in stock. To save money go with something cheaper than the fx-60 and OC to fx-60 level or higher.

Ok guys, I would like to keep it under like 2600$

Help with the PSU and the case would be greatly appreciated.

Also, with the processor, would a 4800 x2 really do it? Im trying not to upgrade too soon in the future so I dont mind spending 1200$ on a beast processor.

I have also decided to get 2 gigs of ram and a SATA HD.

AMD Athlong 64 X2 4400+
2x1GB G.Skill
DFI Lanparty UT nf4 SLI-DR Expert
eVGA 7800GT(Later On go with SLI)
250GB Sata 3.0GBs
The Rest is really personal preferance.

You don't even want a 4800+ as a 4400+ can reach the same speeds as that model on the same voltage/heat using the same core. The 4400+ can even reach the FX-60 Levels.

Ok guys well help me decide on a processor, case, and PSU. Those are the things I really need help with.

I guess if I plan to go with dual video cards I would need a beastly power supply right?? It would really help me if someone could lead me to one that would work really well.

THanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom