Solid State Member
Firstly here is my situation..

Specs.

MoBo: A7V8X-X
GFX Card: ATI Radeon 9550
RAM: 512 MB DDR
CPU: AMD AThlon XP 2600+
Monitor: Samtron 17" (76v)
Power Supply: Not sure... (I tried figuring out how to detect it to no avail)
Sound Card Onboard SoundMAX
Hard Drive(s): SeaGate(?) Barracuda 120 GB (Primary Drive) --> Maxtor (something similar) 38GB
Optical Drive(s): One slow *** CD-RW drive --> LG 52x MAX DC-ROM
Speakers: 4 12" subs... >_> I have the rig hooked up to my receiver.
Floppy Drive: Just some floppy drive. lol
OS: Windows XP (getting corporate or some sort from a buddy >_>)

I am looking to build a new PC, leaning more heavily on PCI-E instead of AGP as ATI does. Currently I have the parts I want in mind, but I was looking for other opinions before I begin making purchases (as well as price busters).

I am currently looking to buy these parts:

CPU

GFX Card

MoBo

Case

Hard Drive

RAM

Optical Drive

Optical Drive#2

All prices listed are in Canadian, as I am from Canada, and using the canadian Tigerdirect website.

If anyone could possibly give first-hand insight on the setup, or even heresay they have heard, please leave feedback. Also, even more desireable, would be where to find these same products for cheaper.

In any case, any relative feedback is welcomed, and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

For the video card, you might want to try getting an eVGA 7800 over the XFX. XFX has a bad reputation, while eVGA is known for being one of the best.

Are you on a budget? If so, what is it? If you could put out another $100, you could get an Opteron 165 processor, which is a great overclockable dual core processor. Possibly get a cheaper motherboard to get that. There are great motherboards out there that cost much less, one being the MSI K8N Neo4-F ATX AMD Motherboard.

I suggest getting 2gb (2x 1gb stick) of RAM (value RAM works).

What about the other PC parts?

Oh, and you can compare prices on www.newegg.com and www.zipzoomfly.com before you make any final decisions.

Other parts

Well, for power supply, I'm not 100% sure what it is. I am planning on getting a new case (a 60$ ish one) and perhaps a water cooling system, since I've had over-heating problems with my curent PC.

I basically have a really crap CD Burner, and then just a 56x CD-ROM, and a floppy drive. Aside from that, I can't think what you mean?

edit: I'm checking eVGA's website now, thanks for the advice.

edit2: is there a reason why the same card made by eVGA is 100$ (in american) then the one by XFX?

This is a good part checklist you can build on:

Monitor:
Case:
Power Supply:
Motherboard:
Processor:
CPU Fan & Heatsink:
RAM:
Video Card:
Sound Card:
Hard Drive:
Optical Drive:
Speakers:
Floppy Drive:
Operating System:
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound | http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835100007

I did the thermal compound for you. There's really no debate over that one. From that list, see what you need and don't and build onto it possibly in your original post. It'll probably be easier for others and myself to make suggestions that way.

Oye crap, I forgot to mention I am on a budget. I'm buying all the parts piece by piece. I get about 300$ bi-weekly working. And so far, everything I've put on my list will rack up to 1184$

edit: Updated the main post, check it. :D

I have the DVD burner you listed expect mine was OEM, for the same price. :( . But its a nice optical drive, no problems down here.

If your on a budget, any reason you need two optical drives?

ESIFL said:
I have the DVD burner you listed expect mine was OEM, for the same price. :( . But its a nice optical drive, no problems down here.

If your on a budget, any reason you need two optical drives?

Not really, I was just putting it there for options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom