Status
Not open for further replies.
So any idea, in my case, which files are the update files
that I am supposed to save?
Thx

Warez Monster said:
OK:
Virscan.dat files are the files that update

The only file I saw that changed was savrt.dat and it's located in C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus

No other files were changed that I saw.

Does this help?

Thousands apology cos I just notice savrt.dat file does exist in my pc and it's under C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus (but virscan.dat still couldn't be found). I overlooked this location previously cos I only looked into C:\Program Files\Symantec.

So what must I do with the savrt.dat file?
What is the content of this file anyway?

Thx in advance!

NBT Support has come up with a workaround using a VB script. The process is to create and run a VB script that captures the timestamp of the file and writes that information to an INI file. You can then use the INI file in your ruleset to see modified date is what you expect. In our example below, weÂ’re checking to see if the Symantec file called savrt.dat is up to date.

First, use notepad to create a .vbs script with the lines shown below. On line 1, specify the path to the file you're interested in. On line 4, specify the path and file name for the INI file that will be created.

Const filename = "C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\savrt.dat"

Dim objFSO, objFile, objINIFile

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set objFile = objFSO.GetFile(filename)

Set objINIFile = objFSO.CreateTextFile("C:\LastModified.ini", 2)

objINIFile.WriteLine "[Date Modified]"

objINIFile.WriteLine "Date Modified=" & objFile.DateLastModified

objINIFile.Close

Run the vbs script as a Command Task in your Channel, then create a config group based on the entry in the INI file created by the script. Here's our example:

EXISTS <File> "C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\savrt.dat" AND <INI Value> "C:\LastModified.ini\\Date Modified\\Date Modified" MATCHES "1/6/2006*"

pretty neat...

anyways, this is the update file but im not sure if its just this one or if it uses any of the other files...

talldude123 said:
you could save the entire norton antivirus folder, which includes the updates, and run it on your new pc.

Thx for the reply.

In my case (since I'm using Norton SystemWorks), do you mean the entire folder as appears as C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus?

By burning this folder into a CD and running it on freshly reinstalled pc, will it install the Norton Antivirus and also the updates?

Thx in advance!

Warez Monster said:
NBT Support has come up with a workaround using a VB script. The process is to create and run a VB script that captures the timestamp of the file and writes that information to an INI file. You can then use the INI file in your ruleset to see modified date is what you expect. In our example below, weÂ’re checking to see if the Symantec file called savrt.dat is up to date.

First, use notepad to create a .vbs script with the lines shown below. On line 1, specify the path to the file you're interested in. On line 4, specify the path and file name for the INI file that will be created.

Const filename = "C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\savrt.dat"

Dim objFSO, objFile, objINIFile

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set objFile = objFSO.GetFile(filename)

Set objINIFile = objFSO.CreateTextFile("C:\LastModified.ini", 2)

objINIFile.WriteLine "[Date Modified]"

objINIFile.WriteLine "Date Modified=" & objFile.DateLastModified

objINIFile.Close

Run the vbs script as a Command Task in your Channel, then create a config group based on the entry in the INI file created by the script. Here's our example:

EXISTS <File> "C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\savrt.dat" AND <INI Value> "C:\LastModified.ini\\Date Modified\\Date Modified" MATCHES "1/6/2006*"

pretty neat...

anyways, this is the update file but im not sure if its just this one or if it uses any of the other files...

What is a .vbs.script? Do you by any chance know offhand of any link which has a good writeup on it? If not I'll google search it.

You wrote "Run the vbs script as a Command Task in your Channel", how do you do it?

Also, you said "...then create a config group based on the entry in the INI file created by the script.", what is a config group? Any relationship with msconfig?

Sorry for the many questions post above.
Your reply is much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom