Serial Hard Drive Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrax

Solid State Member
I recently upgraded my computer and installed a new board and chip 2.8mhz. I also bought a serial 80 gig drive. Kept the cd-rom drive that uses the standard ide ribbon cable

When trying to get the drive identified, I found I when the drive is identified the cd-roms ain't, and when I get the cd-rom identified, the drive is like not installed. Played around in the cmos used the various combinations and had no luck.

Also, when trying to install drive, I used a windows 98 boot disk with fdisk and format. I could only achive a 10 gig maximum amount use this method and don't know where the other 70 went.

Anyone gots any ideas

Okay will take a look.

The strange part is this only happens to this new serial type o drive. When using the fdisk,format on regular ide ribbon type drives it works fine. I could even do a 200gig drive in one partition.

SATA supports a single device per SATA cable.it has a thinner and smaller connection. Have you checked HDD auto-detection in BIOS?

Yes! changed setting numrous times and only drive or cdrom will work. Could not get both to work at the same time.

It a MSI board

Don't think serial drives got irq settings.

I just don't think these new serial hard drives are so great. Don't seem to be compatable with regular ribbon type of hardware. (cdrom drives)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom