Multiple OS on PC's and Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
Is it possible to have multiple Operating Systems running on a computer? Are there compatibility problems? What Operating Systems don't work well together? I'm a windows user looking to delve into Unix/Linux. I'm also interested in purchasing a server soon and would appreciate any help or info on dual Operating Systems, the benefits, the cons, etc. Can you run a server on two Operating Systems? Is this what dual processers are all about?

If your going to use Dual OS' that means you can only run one at a time but select what OS you want to use.

Anyways Dual processors is just to split the workload I _think_. Depending on the type of server you want, dual processors might not be needed.

I see. Thanks Spfdz. Are there compatibility issues ... like dealing with the HD and the way certain Operating Systems handle the data? I'm totally new to this... i've been stuck in the narrow world of Windows for so long... i'm finally stretching my wings. I'm looking to run a webserver/email server/chat server and am not too thrilled about the idea of spending a thousand bucks on WINDOWS SERVER 2003, nor the things i've heard about the unreliability of Windows Servers (even though i've had commercial sites hosted on NT servers for 5+ years and never had any problems or downtime by my host).

I been stuck in the windows world too long aswell, anyways from my understanding, If the drive is partitioned into two, one for linux, one for windows, you should be able to access them.

But keep in mind you can only run one OS at a time. So if your going to run a server, one OS will be completely useless.

My advice is if you want to move towards linux, install linux on a crappy computer, screw around with it for awhile, get use to the style, then when you think you've obtained enough knowledge, fully move over.

I personally wanna start using linux only but haven't had the time to learn much about it.

Yeah i'm planning to run unix on an entirely different machine until i'm ready to run it on a server.

So the key is to partition the drive for two OS? Hmmm.
*Wonders how in the world he's to do that* LoL.

Well if its not partitioned yet, only way you can do it is with a program called partition magic, i personally wouldnt recommend it, i had bad experiences with it.

other then that, when you boot up linux or windows off of a cd, u get a option to make the partition.

note: windows xp/2000 only, anything older needs fdisk.

Thanks. To save myself the trouble i'm just going to run the different OS on different computers.

The knowledge of the partition thing is always helpful though.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom