Ultimate system

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are looking into water cooling, then go with the Opty. If you're not OC, then dump the water cooler and go with the X2 4400+.

OCing is not a big issue with me, but I have had heat related problems off and on with my current system and no matter what I decide to do in the future with this system or with any components I inter-change I want to get the best tower to eliminate heat. I feel like that tower with the water cooling is the best bet for that. I will more than likely go with the X2 4400. It was difficult to convince myself to look at AMD processors enough as it is! (laughs) I just have never been a big AMD fan, but I do recognize the speed of those dual-cores.

I'm also building a new setup also. I too was a die hard intel fan. But after many late nights looking around here and elsewhere, I found the AMD is better for me. I mainly game. Don't let the mhz speed fool you. I've read on this forum and others that the AMDs are faster than specfic Intels such as a lower speed (in mhz) AMD is compairable to an Intel that is at a faster speed. If that doesn't cofuse you. I'll try to find the links to the right forum for you.

As far as cooling. I've found W/C is only for heavy OCers. Fan cooling is far suffeciant for normal use. Find a case with mulitple case fans and buy a good CPU fan/heatsink combo. You shouldn't have any problems. Thats MHO.

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=83675

You said blazing fast system and intel proactively in the same sentence... now im confused
How about a Dothan OC'd to 4GHz+?. It is currently the fast single core CPU out there.

You don't think I will have some heat issues with 2 7800GTXs in there running SLI, combined with all the other hardware. I might need some serious cooling for all that! lol

Anyways, I'm going with the W/C system because of 2 reasons. The first reason is because I said I won't OC, but I might if I find I can do it well. Also, I live in Texas and it gets VERY hot in the summer time down here, and if I have to spend 10k my system will not get close to overheating.

I still haven't made up my mind completely about the processor, still looking at the specs between the Opteron 170s and the x2 4400+.

Hey, I'm from Texas too! :D I say go with the WC, it's not going to hurt it to be colder, in fact, it might prolong the life of the stuff.

Techguru75 said:
Have you guys checked out the Tai-Chi tower? I am drooling over it LOL

Also, I will more than likely be OCing a little, not too much however. I'm looking at this RAM on Newegg.com with the Heat Spreaders, and they look nice. Anyone had any dealings with Heat Spreaders? I'm thinking on 4 512 sticks of Crucial Ballistix. That'll max out the board at 4gigs of RAM (grins). On Newegg, that's about $220 bucks + tax and shipping.
You should only go with 2 sticks of RAM and anymore then 2gb of RAM is useless. I suggest getting this if you're not gonna overclock http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231032

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Good catch. As I was reading the post I was wondering of someone would catch that. He had 4x512=4GB. 4x512=2GB. And you're better having larger capacity sticks than smaller capacity. 2 1GB are better than 4 512MB.

Can someone explain this Operton to me. Is it lower grade, ie. Operton to Althon as Celeron is to the Pentium 4?

Opterons are server chips, so they are hand picked and better made.

Semprons are AMD as celeron is to intel.

Wait for the 7900gtx's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom