eMachine Won't Start: Different from other ?s, I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

D Hartis

Beta member
Hey guys, this seems to be one of the more active sites I have come across, and I hope you guys can help me. I know very little about computers, so please bear with me.

I came back from winter break to find my computer off. Wouldn't click on at all, the PSU fan wouldn't come on. So I did some research and found that eMachines are notorious for faulty PSUs. I purchased a fairly cheap one online (MasterPower 350w) and installed it.

Bing! Started right up without any problems. I prided myself on doing all this (remember, I know VERY little), but when I woke up, the computer was off. Same thing, wouldn't turn on, no fans, nothing.

So, I took it to a little computer store nearby and the guy tested my PSU and said it seemed fine.

This just seems weird: why did it start up earlier? Motherboard, CPU?

I really appreciate ANY help you guys can offer.

Thanks,

Daniel

Im sure you voided the warranty by opening the case So I guess you can do anything I suggest.

ermm... Ok.

Try a different AC outlet and Put it on a surge protecter or UPS if you have one..

Try booting with only RAM, CPU and Video Card. Add harddrive if it works for awhile.

Remmeber to turn off computer before doing any of this and/or reconnecting anything.

Something is getting hot? When you power on the puter in the minimal state, as outlined above, make very sure the heat sink fan is spinning. You need to to the"idiot" test, which is a minimal boot. Just one stick of mem, cpu and heat sinc installed. Don't worry about the beeps just yet but power on the puter and watch the keyboard led lights. If they blink once or twice and the cpu fan is spinning you have gotten past the post for the cpu, mobo bios and memory. then start adding things one at a time until the failure occurs. post when your finished.

Guys, I tried to do what you said, but I'm not completely sure I understand. This is actually my first time 'opening' a computer. It is a few years old, and already out of warranty, so I figured I would see if I could fix it (and thought I had, since it started up with the other PSU).

I disconnected the hard-drive from the mobo and tried that, but nothing happened. Nothing at all is happening, except sometimes I can hear a very high pitched noise, almost like how you can tell a television is on even when the sound is off, if that makes sense.

I'm sorry I can't explain my problem further, or even understand. I do appreciate the help, however I guess I am going to have to take this somewhere and pay out of the wazoo.

D Hartis said:
Guys, I tried to do what you said, but I'm not completely sure I understand. This is actually my first time 'opening' a computer. It is a few years old, and already out of warranty, so I figured I would see if I could fix it (and thought I had, since it started up with the other PSU).

I disconnected the hard-drive from the mobo and tried that, but nothing happened. Nothing at all is happening, except sometimes I can hear a very high pitched noise, almost like how you can tell a television is on even when the sound is off, if that makes sense.

I'm sorry I can't explain my problem further, or even understand. I do appreciate the help, however I guess I am going to have to take this somewhere and pay out of the wazoo.

Nah, Don't pay someone to fix it.

A high pitched sound CAN be a bad power supply. But it could also be a Bad fan....

Do you still have the windows Disc? If you do you can try to boot off of it and try a repair of windows.

I have the restore cds with all of the default programs from eMachines. The more I try to listen for the high-pitched sound, the more I am not even sure I hear it.

And I don't understand about the booting. I can't turn the computer on at all ... would I just stick the disk in? I have a feeling I'm not doing a good job of explaining the problem.

I just took the front cover off and examined the power button. It appears to be making contact with the button the wires are hooked to, so I don't think that is it.

Repair/recover discs won't do it, you need the actual OS Disc.

Its not even getting past POST correct?

If so, CLear CMOS and unattach everything Except RAM, Video card and CPU, like I stated above. (And Yes I know you said, you already tried it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom