Ultimate system

Status
Not open for further replies.
ehh, no. You can (I believe) set up the OS to utilize both (this might only work with 64-bit OS's, like XP x64) to use one core for background processing, and the other completely dedicated to games. Games, in the future will utilize both cores, so it's really worth it.

edit, the DFI I listed will work with it, and will work GREAT, especially if you are OCing it.

I have decided on the dual-core processor, the question is which one. I don't want to have a dual-core processor that costs that much money with only 2.2ghz in speed available for gaming. This is going to be a gaming rig after all! :p

okay, for AMD, 2.2GHz is good, for Intel it is bad. Picture this: an AMD is like a fat guy and an Intel is like a skinny guy, and they have a contest to see who can carry bricks from one place to another. The AMD guy can carry a lot more, and the Intel guy can go quicker, but can't carry as much. (The AMD accomplishes more in one clock cycle than an Intel). So the 2.2GHz is awesome. I think the highest for Dual cores for AMD is like 2.4GHz, so it's very good.

But, I would go with the Opteron 170 if you're going to be OCing, and the X2 4400+ if not.

Thanks for the explanation, like I said, I know little of AMD processors. So I go with the X2 4400, the price is very reasonable.

chevytrucknut said:
Picture this: an AMD is like a fat guy and an Intel is like a skinny guy, and they have a contest to see who can carry bricks from one place to another. The AMD guy can carry a lot more, and the Intel guy can go quicker, but can't carry as much. (The AMD accomplishes more in one clock cycle than an Intel).

Great analogy! :p

Also if you're into Overclocking at all, I would go with a Socket939 AMD Opteron 170. It's a little bit cheaper than the X2 4400+.

Also, if money is no issue, you should get the WD RaptorX when it comes out. :wooha:

oh lol i take no credit for that analogy, that was someone else's on here in the past. Techguru, are you going to be overclocking?

Opty 170s are supposed to be able to OC massively in some cases, even beyond the fx 60's but thats not always the case. As for video cards, you can get 2 if you want but in all honesty I'd say get one video card and save yourself another 600 bucks or whatever. SLI doesnt equal 2x the performance, some games even run worse on SLI, most run about 20-30% better, IMO not worth 600$. You could then save that 600 bucks and in a while buy the new nvidia or ATI cards, which I am sure will beat 2 7800gtx's in SLI in terms of performace.

Have you guys checked out the Tai-Chi tower? I am drooling over it LOL

Also, I will more than likely be OCing a little, not too much however. I'm looking at this RAM on Newegg.com with the Heat Spreaders, and they look nice. Anyone had any dealings with Heat Spreaders? I'm thinking on 4 512 sticks of Crucial Ballistix. That'll max out the board at 4gigs of RAM (grins). On Newegg, that's about $220 bucks + tax and shipping.

if you're not going to be OCing that much, then go with the x2 4400+, but then again, in the future you might want to, so you might want to go with the Opteron. Also, it's way cheaper. And the RAM should be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom