Newbie RAM Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brew_WY

In Runtime
Does my RAM need to be dual channel RAM(if there is such a thing), or does your board just need to have/support dual channel sockets. i know if you set RAM into dual channel set up it has to be identical sticks of RAM. I am currently running 512, and i wanted to upgrade but i wasn't sure if i would be better off buying a 1GB stick or another stick of 512. my system is in my sig, please educate the ignorant on the subject. thanks. :beard:

Your motherboard just needs to support it. The RAM type doesn't matter as long as it's compatible with the board.

Also, remember that in order to utilize dual channel, you need to have the RAM in the right slots. Consult to your motherboard's manual, or if you don't have one, test or ask here if you can get more of the motherboard's information.

NathanM said:
Oh, and 2x 512mb sticks on dual channel is better than 1x 1gb stick.

this is more what i was wondering, would it be better than 1.5GB non-dual channel?

well then i guess i will start watching 1GB sticks of ram.

Just to make sure i understood everything correctly, i would be better off to purchase a single stick of 1GB RAM and use it with my 512 RAM for 1.5 GB. Instead of purchasing a second stick of 512 and running a dual channel set up.

here is a link to my MB. If any one wants to see exactly what it can do and suggest a better solution. this isn't the only time I plan on upgrading my RAM. I might do it again this summer. thanks again for all your help.

Mother Board

EDIT> I have another question, what do you guys think about Kingstons Value RAM? i could get 2GB and set up in dual channel? I could then do it again this summer and max out my board. load speed for games would be nothing after that. let me know what you think. thanks.

Value RAM

Dual channel requires 2 identical, or nearly identical sticks (if you're lucky enough). When you add a 3rd stick of ram, you lose dual channel. The only way you can have 1.5gb in dual channel is:
2x512mb
PLUS
2x256mb

So Hopefully I cleared up some confusion. I was confused just reading your all's posts.

Ryan

no i knew i cant run 1.5 gigs in dual channel(with the memory i currently have/looking at purchasing). i thought my last post was rather clear but maybe not. but i also just read something about not running more than 2GB RAM on windows? what is this about, i havn't heard it before but i dont know a ton about computers yet either.

windows cant support 3g or more memory.
which means u get 3g max memory. so if u want 3g in dual channel, u need 2x1g ram + 2x512 ram. but 3g ram is usually over kill. 2g ram is usually enough for anything u do.
so i recommend u gettin 2x1g ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom