Hard drive inaccessible to format

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalAutumn

Beta member
I am having problems accessing an IDE 60 gig Maxtor hard drive.

This hard drive has most recently been used in a Mac machine that was running as a file server for our network. I am attempting to switch it over to a PC and having problems. I copied the data off of it taht I needed, and then I used the Mac OS (I think it's X) to format the drive. It gave me an option of MS-DOS format, so I used that.

However, when I plug it into the PC, the bios doesn't see the drive there at all, no matter what I do. If I boot to a floppy and try to run fdisk, etc, no drive is recognized.

The Mac can still see the drive if I put it in that machine. I also have added it to my PC. My Windows 2000 OS sees the drive. However, Partition Magic can't format it, it says it is "Bad" and I think says there's a problem wtih the master boot record. None of my disk utiliies seem to be able to prep the drive. Also, if I boot to a floppy from my computer and try to format it, it also is not recognized.

Anyone have any ideas how to solve this problem? Thanks.

It doesnt sound like any problem related to it being from a MAC. Check to see what the jumper is set to on the drive. If it is on the IDE cable by itself, then it should be set to Cable Select or Master.

Thank you. I have checked and now double checked the jumper settings. IT doesn't seem to make any difference on the computer I'm attempting to build. Not only that, but as I said when I add it to my computer, Windows 2000 sees the drive, as does the Mac it came out of. I believe there is something messed up on the master boot record. Does anyone know a way to fix this? I've tried downloading and running the Maxtor MaxBlast software but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom