J:\ is not accessible. the request could not be preformed because of an I/O device er

Status
Not open for further replies.

skateforjondoe

Baseband Member
Hello,

I have a Simple Tech External 160gb hard drive, and when i try to go view its contents in "my computer" it says J:\ is not accessible. the request could not be preformed because of an I/O device error.

I haven't had this problem before with the laptop( it let me access it with no problem) and now am having trouble. i have tried plugging it in and out, uninstalling the driver...(it comes with a driver i guess because it doesn't require a cd, when you stick it in it says found new hardware, then says hardware is installed and ready to use)I am NOT willing to reformatt it because i have tons of music on it...and I have also tried restarting my computer, and it still says the error!!!

Also...it SOMETIMES lets me view what file system it is and the free space and capacity, but it doesn't let me in to view it's contents!

Someone please help. I don't know what to do...thanks

hmm, it just let me in the drive, and now i tried to access one of the files it said this again J:\ is not accessible. the request could not be preformed because of an I/O device error

have you tried the external HDD on another system?

Nitestick is right, you have to determine whether the drive is functioning properly first. Next thing to determine is if the external bay exclosure is at fault. Have you tried another HDD in the external bay yet?

i know it works on other systems, it works on my dads laptop, running windows xp service pack 2...so there is no point in taking it appart when i know it works on other computers

so is there ANYWAY?

oh man...now i tried it on my other computer, running windows xp sp2, and it said the same error when i tried to open it up in "my computer"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom