What's the point of Outlook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobo_man

In Runtime
Hi, Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Microsoft Office Outlook is to look at your e-mails, right?
What I don't understand is why use Outlook when you can just go to your inbox at whatever site you signed up for an e-mail account.

With Outlook, you can sync your hotmail account with it instead of going to www.hotmail.com or say if you have zoomtown or insight broadband, you can configure the emails to go there instead of logging in to their site. I use Office 2003 Outlook to sync my email from work over VPN

I also use outlook so sync my work mail over our VPN and it works awesome! Just like being here at the office :) Outlook has MANY advantages over web based mail..the most important being that the size limitation of your E-Mail account is gone when you use outlook...well not gone just larger (how much free space on your hard drive you have).

Well, some people don't have the web based emails like Hotmail, Gmail, etc. They have e-mail set up through their ISP. Some ISP's have webmail, some don't. If your's doesn't and you have e-mail with them, they it looks like you need some kind of software client. Like Outlook or Thunderbird.

Also if you are like me and have multiple online email acocunts then you dont want to log on to all of them to check all of you email. So i just set up Outlook to download all my email to one location where i can check it all at once.

this is particularly helpful if you have multiple accounts thru any place. I personally have 4 GMail accounts that i use. 2 for business purposes and 2 personal. This way i can get all my mail, check it, then sort it as needed. Makes life easier for some to do it this way rather than wait for the online servers to respond. This way i have all the mail on my PC and can refer to it at any point. If i am working on a customer project i dont have to log on to Gmail to check and see what they want. I just open Outlook and look right away without the hassle of waiting to find it online.

Win2kpatcher said:
the most important being that the size limitation of your E-Mail account is gone when you use outlook...well not gone just larger (how much free space on your hard drive you have).

i see what you're saying here but i dont want others to get confused. If you're using a pop3 account, you email (by default) is downloaded from the server to your machine and deleted from the server. If there is a size limit on your account and you take an extended leave of absence, the limit still applys whether you use outlook or not. If you're using an IMAP account, the email messages you download stay on the server. But when you delete the email from outlook, the email gets deleted from the server as well.

outlook provides more functionality than most, if not all, webbased clients. You can set Word to create & edit email messages which makes it easier to format. I like outlook's reminders/calendar. You can easily backup your email. etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom