My build: good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the power supply get either the Fortron 450W or the Antec TPII 550W.

FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX450-PN 450W Power Supply - Retail

Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 550W Power Supply - Retail

If you're going to be overclocking you're going to need better RAM, OCZ and G.skill make some of the best

G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Platinum System Memory - Retail

As chevytrucknut said, the Opteron 170 is a very good overclocker, much better than the 3800+

AMD Opteron 170 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - Retail

NickFas said:
I would say get some g.skill value ram

If you take this route, keep in mind that the 2GB package just went out of stock last night on Newegg :mad:.

Also, get an Opteron 165 instead of the 3800+ X2. Search for it on ZipZoomFly. It's an overall better processor that's much better at overclocking. Even though you say you aren't, you just may change your mind in the future if you learn more about it. Plus, it's cheaper than the 3800+ X2 on ZipZoomFly with free 2-day shipping.

Good luck with your PC.

You dont need watercooling to overclock it just helps. If you have decent air cooling (good circulation, good cpu/gpu heatsink) you can OC until it heats up too much and starts malfunctioning. Having the water cooling just keeps the temps down even further and thus, allows you to OC further.

Alright, this is what I'm getting. I need help to bring down the price, though: it's way above my original budget!

AMD Opteron 165

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1649747&Tab=11&NoMapp=0 $349.99

ANTEC TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 550W POWER SUPPLY - RETAIL

G.SKILL EXTREME SERIES 2GB (2 X 1GB) 184-PIN DDR SDRAM DUAL CHANNEL KIT SYSTEM MEMORY - RETAIL

$194.00
eVGA GeForce 7800 GT CO / 256MB GDDR3 / PCI Express / SLI / Dual DVI / VIVO / Video Card with Free Quake 4 PC Game

$319.99

Xion II Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side Front USB and Audio Ports and 450-Watt Power Supply

$54.99*
Ultra Commander 7-Channel Fan Controller Plus 3 Titanium Finish 80mm Fans
$79.99
DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra-D NVIDIA Socket 939 ATX Motherboard / Audio / PCI Express / Gigabit LAN / USB 2.0 & Firewire / Serial ATA / RAID

$129.99
Seagate / 250GB / 7200 / 8MB / ATA-100 / EIDE / OEM / Hard Drive
$79.99*
Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live 24-Bit PCI Sound Card (Retail Box)
$33.99

Viewsonic VE910B / 19" / 8ms / 550:1 / SXGA / 1280x1024 / Black / LCD Monitor

Well you could always get a cheaper opteron, such as the 144,146, or 148. They aren't the fastest retail speeds, but they can overclock like mad, some people have overclocked the 144 up to the speed of fx processors.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/ViewProducts.hmx?PID=CPU-TBIRD&updepts=CPU&DNAME=Processors+-+CPU

The Ultra fan thing is a waste. 80 bucks?! If anything, just get a cheap fan controller for like 20$ and some 120mm fans, will save you about 50$..

Dont get a 244. That is for a server build. The 2 in the front means that 2 of the cpus can be hooked up in the same system. If you have the money, go with a 165 because its dual core.

Dont get the fan controller that you have listed. Like i said before, i have that case and the cooling seems ok. I am going to get another LED 120mm fan because the one in the back isnt and the light isnt very spread out. If your going to be ocing, look into a third party heatsink like the Zalman 9500, TT Big Typhoon, Scythe Ninja.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom