Which Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurt4044

Baseband Member
I'm not sure if this should be in the general section, but I thought I would get better responses from the High perf section...

I have a ASUS P4g800-v motherboard running a 2.4 northwood. (800 FSB) I am looking at upgrading to a 3.2 but am not sure which chip to go with. From reading reviews on Tom's hardware, it looks like they still make the northwood and prescott....and they perform about the same. (Prescott a hair better) When I look on newegg, I can only find the prescott. Can anyone explain why? (Maybe newegg just doesn't carry the northwood?) I see almost all the posts say the prescott runs too hot. I'd rather not wrap up more money in an aftermarket heatsink and fan if I don't have to. I also see the 3.4 is a lot more expensive. I don't really see an advantage to spending that extra money right now. I am not using this for gaming and cannot overclock with my current MOBO. Can you guys make a suggestion?

If your not gaming, then your 2.4ghz machine is fine and save your money. Otherwise get an AMD3200+ venice core. It performs if not exceeds a P4 3.2 and its cheaper.

even if u gaming invest your money ona better graphic card man. You will see a difference with a better graphic card in games then u would with a better cpu.

I am with all these guys, go with the 6800gt graphics card insteand, can overclock it like nothing else (not hard to get to 6800 ultra levels), and it is the best bang for the buck.

Jesus, what horrible responses. Quote from his original post:

I am not using this for gaming and cannot overclock with my current MOBO.

He is not using it for gaming but you guys recommend upgrading the gfx card instead :confused:

Anyways, your mobo is socket 478, so the inventory is a little slimmer than for the newer socket 775. Here is the socket 478 3.2Ghz P4 at newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116172

It is a Prescott core, but I wouldn't worry about that, especially if your not OC'ing. It will run at stock speeds just fine with the stock HSF.

The Northwoods are an older core and you'll have a hard time finding one other than maybe eBay.

Hey thanks! I was thinking the same thing, but wanted to wait for more responses. I think I am just going to put up another post with my complete system specs and see what everyone thinks the next upgrade should be. I was really set on a new processor, but everyone keeps telling me the upgrade from a 2.4 to a 3.2 will not be worth the money. Now I am thinking maybe a raptor HDD instead so that when I am ready to update the Mobo and Processor I can move that with and still be doing good. We'll see....thanks for the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom