build look good? (gaming laptop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

golfman44

Solid State Member
Alright I think I have finished my search for the best gaming laptop that my budget can afford ($1600). Anyways here it is:

Asus Z81-SP

Intel P4 640 3.4GHz EM64T 2MB Cache 800FSB
nVidia 6800GO 256MB (MXM Type III Module)
1GB Ram (dual channel is $19 more, dont know if I should get dual channel or just get 1 stick to save money)
60 GB 5400RPM Harddrive
15.4" WSXGA 1680x1050 monitor

This is right at my budget mark (just under $1600) - I've debated dropping the chip to a 3.2 (-$70) and bumping the harddrive to 7200RPM (+$60) - would this improve performance or should I stick with the 3.4ghz chip?

Defintely get dual channel, helps with memory bandwith :) . hmm looks ok. 1600 dollars isnt that bad, you think 60GB's will be big enough?

For bumping up the speed of your hdd, it will help with loading games, and starting up windows, i think its a good investment.

But for gaming, i would recommend an AMD 64 or Turion as a processor. 2.0Ghz-2.4Ghz speed.

hey thanks for the quick reply man i appreciate it.
as far as the chip goes, i was extremly limited on the choice. i have always had AMD chips (this is my first laptop, but always AMD in my PC's) but I could not find ONE SINGLE laptop with decenet specs taht had an AMD chip WITH a good graphics card in my price range (they all had x700's or Geforce 6600's, with a max of 128megs on em) - so I just thought that a Geforce 6800 with 256megs and a P4 > shitty card + AMD - or am I wrong with this assumption?

Yeah i see where your going, can you try getting a Centrino processor as those are nice battery conservers and run with minimal power consumption.

For gaming what kind of games will you be playing?

I mostly play World of Warcraft at the moment but as time goes on I will pick up new games and play those ( i love first-person shooters). I know I dont like the idea of the P4 but i looked so hard and Could NOT find any laptop within my price range that offered such a good package (aka video card, ram, etc.) - if you could name a model or direct me somewhere that would be great lol - i looked at all the major companies (hp, dell, etc. the list goes on) and none of them had what i was looking for except for this one, but still the P4 :-\ -- its just an old chip imo and outdated. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom