hdware problems???

Status
Not open for further replies.

navywife

Beta member
I picked up a gateway pc to refurbish and resell. Got it home and one thing after another. The onboard IDE controllers are out. There is a pci dual ide controller installed. The computer will not boot up. I have resolved several issues already by clearing the cmos and starting over. It detectes the hard drive and there is power but not boot. It does not detected the cd rom, but there is power to it. I have moved the ram and replaced the ram. Reseated the on board battery. I can get to the screen asking for safe mode, last known, etc screen, but after any seletection it reboots. I probably know the answer, however I would like a second opinion. I am very hardware and software inclined, but I think I am going through burnout with this one. I do not like something to whip me well not mentally anyway. lol.... I also have a sense of humor. sorry.

Sounds like the mobo may be shot.

Oh, and I'm moving this to the Hardware Troubleshooting forum. It'll get more answers there.

My gut was saying the same. It came loaded with DVD burner, cd burner, 160 gb hd, 512mb ram, monitor mouse and kb. For $50.00 i still think i got my moneys worth.

PS: Firefox is the only way. I just read up on sea monkeys future release.

What is it with the quiz score: coming soon! message.

If its a Gateway....... you will need a 'sense of humor".
If the IDE controllers are out......... meaning dead......
how is the system ever going to work?
Since you do this for a living....... I'm sure you know much more than me. Just asking........ I hope you don't take it the wrong way!
You may just want to re-build with a new mobo & P/S.
* Sorry I couldn't add much.

Do you happen to know if the OS was installed on the original IDE controller, then moved to the PCI controller card? If so then you will need to do a repair/reinstall of the OS to fix the problem.

I've had mixed results using cdroms on PCI IDE controllers, so if thats where the rom is connected that could be why you can't access it.

The system rebooting is caused by some kind of error in the OS or hardware, since windows is set to reboot on these errors unless you turn that "Feature" off. Once again try repairing/reinstalling if you can boot from the cdrom. If you get errors/BSODs in doing this try testing your memory and HDD for problems for starters...

Hope you get it working! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom