Double Hard Drive Boot/Jumpers

Status
Not open for further replies.

blake67t

Baseband Member
I installed a new hard drive, 40GB Western Digital this week, along with my old 40GB Western Digital that came with my computer, both are running on the same system.

They are on the same cable, the new one's jumper is on "master with slave present," and the old one's jumper is on "Slave."

With the jumpers set like this, my system boots up to the master, or WIN XP PRO. The Slave is WIN XP HOME.

I know this is possible, but I don't know how to set it up, I want my computer to boot up and before booting a HD, I want it to prompt me which HD I want to boot, giving me the option of 1. WIN XP PROFESSIONAL, or 2. WIN XP HOME.

I have tried various jumper settings, and it won't boot because of primary drive not found. I do not have a manual for my HD's, just thought someone would ask.

Is it jumpers that need set differently, or some other setup or setting I need to change???

Thanks,

Blake

the jumper setting does not matter. i think you need to change a text file called the bootloader. someone will help you with this in more detail. just trying to point you into the right direction

i was going to say the same thing.i dont know what to enter in it either.
right click 'my computer' properties > advanced > startup and recovery > settings > edit

I found the file, and am thinking this, here is the file:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=signature(83fe258b)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
signature(83fe258b)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

im thnking if i copy the last line, and change it to read win xp home insted of pro, then it will see both my operating systems, so the last two lines will be the same, except for the name of the operating system.

With it this way, im thinking it will ask me which HD I want to boot, and time 30 seconds will it boots the primary,

does this sound correct to anyone, or way off ans wrong to anyone, bc really, i am 0% sure about this, it is only a hunch, makes sense in my mind, but I didn't write the software.

Thanks,

Blake

no you need to copy the partition info too. this is the last 2 lines. you need to actually add the home and pro information to the bootloder, not delete anything. if you search google or this forum for boot loader you should find what to do.

Thanks, I'll try what you said then if I doesn't work, I will use google.

I am just worried that I may not be able to boot the HD after altering the file.

Thanks,

Blake

ONE MORE QUESTION THINGS CHANGED

OK, I decided I wanted to format my old HD and also put XP PRO on it.

So here is the situtaion as of now, so you do not have to read all above if you don't want to.

I have 2 40 GB Western Digital HD's, both with XP PRO on them.

I want the option of choosing one or the other to boot, I have the ablility to choose, but right now, both options say "WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL," and both boot the same HD, my master drive.

This is the script in my boot file,

signature(83fe258b)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

I know I have to copy this and paste it under this line, having two of the same lines, and I know I mut change the second one, but I know not what to change about it.

Can anyone help,

Thanks,

Blake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom