Questions about stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoisonPorkchop

Daemon Poster
Don't you love the descriptive topic? :dead:

Anyways, currently I have an AMD Athlon 64 3800, with an Nforce 3, socket 939 mobo, and a 6600gt AGP. I will be upgrading to an opteron 148, 6800gs, and a DFI lanparty Ultra d. I have windows xp and everything else on 1 IDE hard drive (all the drivers, etc) If I were to upgrade to the stuff I listed, would that cause a problem? Would windows still work? I heard somewhere that when you change hardware windows wont work anymore. Will I have to change anything in the BIOS?

Thanks!

if you change your motherboard, Windows needs to have a repair-install, or be reinstalled

if you have XP Home that needs activating, having too many hardware changes will force you to activate again

My mom just got a dell computer and I know that comes with a copy, I know you're not supposed to do that, but do you expect me to spend 200 dollars on another copy of windows just because I'm upgrading my mobo? ****, I'll never loose another copy of XP again. Worst .mistake. ever.

dell os's dont work on other computers. only on the exact mobo they came with. if you upgrade your dell's mobo, you have to buy a new os

How does XP work? Do you HAVE to register your copy? I don't think I ever registered my moms when I set up her computer for her, so what would happen if I tried to install it on my computer? Would it know it was already in use, even though hers isn't registered? And what if hers IS registered? Would I just not register mine? Or would it automatically try to register when I connected to the internet? Sorry for all the questions by the way.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom