Athlon 2500 BIOS settings for 333MHz DDR HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

falconer

Solid State Member
I have a couple of questions about the BIOS settings for my system and figured I'd come to the folks that know what the heck they're doing.....I'm stuck and would REALLY appreciate your help.

1st question (and most troublesome)
I have an AMD Athlon 2500 xp, on a KT4V MB and just picked up a gig (2x512) of Centon PC2700 (333Mhz DDR). When I installed the new mem the system would lock up requiring a CMOS clear. I have tried numerous settings but can't figure out the right combo.
Can someone please tell me the fsb and multiplier settings, not to mention the mem timing stuff and (possibly) the slots to use (i have a 3 DIMM slots).

2nd question:
My sys is currently running 512Mb 266MHz DDR installed and even with this I cannot set the FSB to anything above 150mhz (using auto which yields a multiplier of 11). CPU temp is running @ 45C. Here's my current MB info:

Motherboard Name MSI KT4V (MS-6712)

Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 150 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 301 MHz
Bandwidth 2404 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 150 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 301 MHz
Bandwidth 2404 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties:
Bus Type VIA V-Link
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 75 MHz (ODR)
Effective Clock 601 MHz
Bandwidth 601 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info:
CPU Sockets/Slots 1
Expansion Slots 6 PCI, 1 AGP
RAM Slots 3 DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio
Form Factor ATX
Motherboard Size 210 mm x 300 mm
Motherboard Chipset KT400
Extra Features Fuzzy Logic 4

FYI - I have the latest VIA Chipset drivers installed.

Any help would be REALLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Skip

166*11 is the chip setting and iono bout that ram, probably like 3-3-3-11 for the timings, but leave it on auto,

Thanks but...

As you can see in my rather lengthy post I can't get above 150 fsb (with auto multiplier which defaults to 11) with the AMD Athlon 2500+ XP 333FSB

Skip

if your proccy was working fine at 166*11 until you put the RAM in then it is obviously the RAM that is causing a problem...
If you have your RAM on auto settings and it doesnt work, try running it async with the proccy ie stick the proccy at 166MHz and the RAM at 140MHz (if you can) then increase the memory speed till it becomes unstable.

Thanks AND

My PC never ran above 150 FSB x 11 before I installed the RAM (still isn't). I removed the new RAM and reinstalled my old 2x256 ddr in the unit now. I'll try the mem setting you recommend with the new RAM and see what happens.

Thanks for your help

you say auto settings don't let you change it.. well try user defined settings... *coughs*

I have

tried numerous settings (user defined) and can't find the right combo. As you said, 166x11 is the right settings but it won't handle this. That's where I'm stuck. This highest I can take this thing is 150. I have a program called FuzzyLogic which progressivly ramps the settings until it crashes. It too can only climb to 150fsb....

I have found your problem....

Your motherboard only supports FSB of 200/266 thats 100/133 when you divide it by 2 (ive always excelled at maths).
So by taking it up to 150 (300MHz) your overclocking your motherboard to the max!

Solution.... Buy a new one

Got it

I finally got it. Thanks for everyone's help.

FYI - The KT4V Mobo supports up to 333 FSB.

I went back through the BIOS mem settings and changed everything to the most stable then started working from there. I also set the CPU Spread Spectrum to disabled (default for my BIOS is 25%).

Once I got the memory to work @ 333mhz I clocked the processor to the standard setting of 166x11 and it worked. I now have a gig of 333 DDR and a 2.5 GHz proc! I'm off to gaming!

Thanks again!

Skip

Almost forgot to show you the results ;-)

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 1833 MHz (5.5 x 333) 2500+
Motherboard Name MSI KT4V (MS-6712) (6 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM, Audio)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400
System Memory 1024 MB (Virtual Channel DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (02/12/03)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom