internet connection don't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

harnar123

Daemon Poster
so my I got this new Dell xps laptop. like 3 weeks old, pretty good specs. When I got it, the internet connection was working flawlessy, both wireless and wired. I went over to my friends house the other day who has wireless. He networked it with his tivo since I was there last, but his computer was still hooked up to the internet just fine. For some reason it would show the connection but wouldn't hookup, I got it to connect for like 5 mins, then it would crash (while it was connected it didn't say it was connected).

Today I went to my bros house who has his internet routed out between 3 computers and I connected it. Last time I was here it worked just fine, however this time my modem or whatever didn't even recognize there was anything connected to it all, let alone get on the internet.

what could be the problem, there isn't any way it could be spyware/viruses right? It is most likely faulty hardware.

even if there is some form of spyware or virus that is capable of doing that I had the whole macafee suit updated and running and was using firefox to browse the internet. no p2p or anything filesharing.

any ideas?

Make sure that the ip addresses are not being changed.
Also make sure the internet connection you use at your house
is the same as the one you use at your brothers.
How is your computer connected to the internet?
Is there anything inbetween the router and your computer?
Do you use a wireless card or connected wired?

I have not changed anything that I know of since I recieved the computer new three weeks ago. When I got it, it connected perfectly to both wired and wireless internet services. Now it won't conect to either one.

the modem connects the the router, which then connects to my computer. It is connected here by a wired connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom