Pentium 4 Prescott 521 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

meefle

In Runtime
first of all, i want to OC my pentium 4 521 but i dont know wut temps it should run at and how to tell if its idlin or workin (or w.e). also, how do you tell if the cpu is stable? Its running at 2.8GHz (factor settin) and i want to OC it to 3.0 or higher (not to much max 3.4) In BOIS, it says the cpu is runnin at 46C so idk if its too hot to OC. by the time i realized AMD was 1000000x better than intel (lol) i already had this computer built. So is my processor able to OC maybe to 3.1 or 3.2?

If you're going to oc, and want to oc it even to 3.2Ghz ur probably going to have to buy aftermarket cooling.

The Zalman CNPS9500 and Thermaltake Big Typhoon, and Scythe Ninja are all great choices for cooling.

What you need to do is get a program that reads processor temp while you're in windows. The temp in the BIOS will always be higher than the temp while windows ir running.

yea i have speedfan. is it normal when runnin speedfan to have the cpu usage just go from 0% to 100% then back to 0%? on the speed fan it reads the temp anywhere from 46C to 50C

Prescott's run hot, but at the same time, they're designed to run hot, so you can get away with higher temps than you can on some other chips. Realistically, if you stay under 70C, youÂ’re probably OK, but I know I wouldn't be comfortable with that. I would try to stay under 60C personally. I have the Tower 112 on mine and it doesn't break 50C with a decent OC.

You need to get a program that monitors temps in Windows and check temps during load. Idle temps are less useful than what it hits during full load. To put the CPU at full load, and to check stability, use Prime95.

Other than that, read the sticky/other guides, then read them all again, and again.

You should be able to hit 3.4Ghz with that chip no problem as long as you can keep temps under control.

how can you tell if the cpu is unstable, will the computer just ramdonly shut of?

Like I said before, use Prime95. To check for full stability you should run it for 12-24hrs with no errors.

Of course just playing a game for a few hours will give you a pretty good idea. :p

It will freeze up, shut down, not start up. If that happens you have to reset the CMOS and start over.

I have no experience with speed fan, but I have a P4 640 and it idles at 23-28 degrees depending on the temp in my room, never goes above 47.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom