Troubleshooting Random Reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having the same problem as Tygleris and my machine reboots while playing games but I didn't build mine I bought it. I've tried checking each stick and they all work OK but the Memtest86 program is to complicated for me. (sorry for being thick) Does anyone else have any ideas?

1) Your System could be overheating
2)The game may not support your video card (or video driver for that part)

and as a reply to demob05, if the system is on a domain, you need to check with your system administrator to see if theres a group policy object set on the systems for power save

ok, so here's my problem. I run a pc business and a 'customer' has been having problems with one of my machines (which i built) for a few months now. Apparently the machine will random reboot, either on startup, emails, or generally anything, sometimes will go into sleep mode and sometimes shut down (with fans still running), i have had the machine in my office, plugged it in and it ran for over 24 hours non stop with no issues, at all, this has happened so many times now and the customer is very irate (which is not helping!) i can't fault the computer as it runs perfectly on my office desk, yet when the customer takes it home and plugs it in, the problem starts, might run for 5 minutes or 5 hours then shut down. I have suggested to him to check his power points and extension cables etc but he insists they are all good. Since i can't fault the machine and will have to return it - yet again, to this customer with a no fault found, I expect that it will be an ongoing issue, as i say, it runs fine in my office so ps, ram and processor can't be the problem? system temp is 31oC and processor temp is 40oC... the customer insists it is on a desktop with adequate ventilation. Anyone got any ideas here as im sure the customer will not be happy that his computer works! (at least when its with me! :)

the extension cord is 1 problem. his house might not be wired properly. he might need to buy this and check his wiring

ElectricalCheck005.jpg

yeah, i suggested to him that his extension cord might not be working properly, but he insists it is and that its running his old computer at present... the suggestion that his house is wired back to front nearly got my head bitten off also... I'm going to replace the PS and see if it makes any difference, pulling at straws now as the current PS works fine, at least in my environment... Any profit i made on this computer has long since gone with the time i've already spent testing this thing only to find nothing wrong! Computers, gotta love 'em...

I had this exact problem last year. it play fine everywhere, but in my actual living room environment. I replaced everything. I ended up with a new 64 bit computer because of this and the problem still persisted. I eventually narrowed it down to my scanner. it actually worked, but it was giving my computer the blue screen of death.

I had rewired my house from 100A to 200A thinking that something was wrong with my electric (that had need that done anyway, because of my electrical goodies, so I got another benefit out of that) because it all started when when we had a surge that knock the power out to our neighborhood for 2 hours on the 4th of july. it killed my brand new AC, my wife's computer powersupply (I had to buy a new psu and case as it was a sony viao) and my 50 inch jvc TV. my computer was on battery backup at the time (my wife now have one), but my scanner wasn't

the electric company didn't refund anything either

I would leave my scanner off when ever I wasn't using it afterwards, but I would sometime accidently leave it on and get the BSOD.

I am now using an inferior hp scanner now (the 1st one was a microtek 6000)

Yeah, i was suspecting that this guys lexmark printer might have had something to do with all this too... the customer is now telling me that he is going to take legal action if I can't guarantee it will work in his house... a bit much as you'd imagine... its like sueing Ford because the brand new car you bought from them, won't fit in your garage... sometimes i wonder why i do this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom