Decided on Building My Own PC - Take a Look

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would assume it would be common sense. Yes, because of double the capacity. It holds more, therefore, it performs smoother, which is the point of memory.

And if he went Single-Core his PC would be outdated in 6 months. Besides, an Overclocked 165 can get to 2.6GHz 99% guaranteed. Thats a FX-60 right there, and I don't think FX-60s are getting outdated anytime soon. Besides, even a X2 3800+ can beat a FX-57 in a Dual-Core game (Quake 4).

He IS getting a 2-gig set of a ValueRAM.

HAVOC2k5 said:
"2GB of unoverclocked RAM is better than 1GB of overclocked RAM."

Why because of double the capacity? Just wondering?

Flanker don't you think that if gaming is his primary reason for building, he should go with a single core (3700+) & upgrade his 6800GS to a 7800GT? May-be a 2GiG kit of some value ram?

The problem with your suggestion on the 7800GT is the fact that he already has the 6800GS. Unless he can return or sell the 6800GS for near full price he will be pushed way overbudget.

tajahem said:
The problem with your suggestion on the 7800GT is the fact that he already has the 6800GS. Unless he can return or sell the 6800GS for near full price he will be pushed way overbudget.

Correct. I don't think I'll be needing a 7800, however.

So he's going to overclock a 165 to 2.6Ghz with a 2GiG kit of value ram? That's pretty amazing.

Outdated in 6 months? I don't think so. Weren't you the one who was swearing up and down how the dual cores won't help in gaming performance? You said, "Single Core" now you've changed your mind?

What about the difference between the 6800GS & 7800GT? If i'm a gamer, I want the better videocard. The 6800GS is decent, but the 7800GT is better.

EDIT:
He already has the 6800GS? Oh sorry, i didn't catch that.
Oh well... The system is fine, i just would have gone a different way.

HAVOC2k5 said:
So he's going to overclock a 165 to 2.6Ghz with a 2GiG kit of value ram? That's pretty amazing.

Yup :) Amazing, aeren't they? These Opterons...

And yes, I was swearing by Single-Core, and I still do.

I used to rant that Dual Core would be a useless investment right now. I still do, but videocards advanced faster than my argument :)

Ok! I have pretty much finalized my list. I added the SATA HDD to the list in place of the IDE. It's up-to-date, so go ahead and check it out again. I will be ordering all of this later tonight, so if anyone has any last suggestions, make haste.

By the way, I really appreciate the help and hospitality you guys have given me in this process. You've helped me polish up a good PC into a great one, for very little cost difference. I'll probably be hanging around here now, you guys are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom