Playing games at 1280x1024....

Status
Not open for further replies.
thebleakness said:
Sorry, abit off topic but.....

Good to see another Compaq S710 CRT user. :beard: I am using one on 1280 x 1024 and then games 1024x768 with a 7800GT. I get alittle ghosting (not really sure because i cant compare it with anything) but i play FEAR, BF2, Quake4 with it and it looks fine. Use it and when you get enought money for a new screen, buy a new one.
Thanks for replying to that because I thought this was the best place to post this. I'm glad that the new video cards work with my screen. What is Ghosting?? Why does it happen on this screen?

Ghosting is an effect that occurs when your display screen doesn't refresh itself fast enough to keep up with the action on-screen. If, in a game, someone runs across your screen, and your monitor can't keep up with their movement, then it will seem like there is a ghost running with them, thus the term.

Ghosting is nonexistent on CRT monitors. It occurs on LCD monitors with a refresh rate of 12ms or higher. No more than a 8ms LCD for me. If it happens, it just ruins the gameplay. Graphics don't look as sharp (unless you're standing still) and its not very quick-action friendly.

Flanker said:
Ghosting is an effect that occurs when your display screen doesn't refresh itself fast enough to keep up with the action on-screen. If, in a game, someone runs across your screen, and your monitor can't keep up with their movement, then it will seem like there is a ghost running with them, thus the term.

Ghosting is nonexistent on CRT monitors. It occurs on LCD monitors with a refresh rate of 12ms or higher. No more than a 8ms LCD for me. If it happens, it just ruins the gameplay. Graphics don't look as sharp (unless you're standing still) and its not very quick-action friendly.
Yes ok that's what I thought it was but if it never happens on a CRT monitor then why did the user thebleakness say it happens on his CRT??

So the ghosting problem is only for very old CRT's then? I don't know what year the Compaq S710 was made but it isn't very old.

Dont really worry about your S710. Its not too bad. I dont see any ghosting while playing games (too busy concentrating to notice) and everything looks fine. I was worried before about how it would look on with my new comp but im happy with it.

BEE, i'm willing to make a small wager with you.

When UT2007 launches, you will be enjoying UE3 in all it's glory at mid to high settings @ 1280X1024 and you'll be enjoying the game.

Will the newer cards at the time be better performance wise? Sure, that's the nature of the technology. But mark my words, the 7800GT will be holding it's own in the next 1 to 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom