PC wont post after video card upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guernica

Solid State Member
I have a slight problem, I just bought a BFG nVidia 6800GT-OC to upgrade from my PNY 6600 video card.

Its PCI-E, and it came with a Y-connector. 1 end plugs into the video card, the other 2 ends plug into any available slot from the onboard power supply. Do I plug them both in? or just one?

Anyways, my problem is, after I install it, the PC will not post (no beeps), and the monitor will not function (black screen). The little light on my monitor stays yellow, and never goes green. What am I missing here? It did not come with an SLI connector (the little connector that connects on top of the video card and connects to the motherboard), is that needed for these higher end video cards to function? I dont know what the problem is.

you don't need the SLI connector, but you will need the extra power conector plugged into the power supply.

Are you getting any beeps when you power on the system? Have you verified that the card is seated all the way into the PCI-e slot? (doesn't hurt to double check! :)

Blueman said:
you don't need the SLI connector, but you will need the extra power conector plugged into the power supply.

Are you getting any beeps when you power on the system? Have you verified that the card is seated all the way into the PCI-e slot? (doesn't hurt to double check! :)
yup the card is seated correctly, and even tried it with both power supplies plugged in.

No beeps. at all. Nothing, just a blank black screen.

what are molex adapters?

"what are molex adapters?"
They are 4 pin things that are commonly used to power hard drives, cd drives and more.

Avalanch3 said:
did you make sure your PSU is good enough to power the card ??
Power Supply? its a 430w output, figured that would be good enough.

And yes my molex adapters are the 'Y-connector' thing Im talkin about. I'll take pictures of it tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom