Decided on Building My Own PC - Take a Look

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet. Adding that to my list. Once I am done looking through all of the suggestions I'll update my original post to mirror what changes I've decided to make.

A Socket 939 Opteron is exactly like an Athlon 64 except for a few improvements; MUCH better overclockability (as is 2.8GHz from 2.0GHz), Better tested before shipped out, and Twice the L2 cache.

Original post updated! Looking at Opteron processor atm.

Edit: Lots of updates to do and don't want to double post.

I made the switch to the Opteron (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103588
). Can't believe I didn't check those out before hand.

Also, will this PCI-E power cable work fine? http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...d=2761&zenid=745071b55789d71da413e61a4347d642

I have been having trouble finding cables (my eVGA GeForce 6800GS didn't ship with a power cable!) and that's what I've been able to find.

The cable to go from my video card directly to the PSU? Because the video card was supposed to ship with one, but didn't.

Opteron's have made their way into desktops due to their overclockability. You don't seem to be doing any overclocking. Which is fine and that CPU will serve you very well. Yet, if you are planning on overclocking, that RAM isn't the best choice, nor is that motherboard.
I've built with that MOBO many times and although it's a fantastic, solid, reliable MOBO... It's just not Overclocking quality. Sure it has some OCin' features, but it's not built like a DFI or a Newer ASUS.

May I recommend another thing, go with a SATA HDD, instead of a IDE HDD. There are too many reasons to explain.

And, since you seem to be interested in gaming... If you are on a tight budget, I would think about going with a AMD Athlon 3700+ they are about $100+ less then the 165. Then take that $100 you saved on the CPU and invest that into a eVGA 7800GT.

This makes the most sence to me. There aren't many games right now that support dual core CPU's. But there are many, many games that will love that 7800GT.

The 3700+ & 7800GT will make perform excellent in all games.

I'd much rather have that then the Opteron 165 & 6800GS. From a gaming stand point it's a much better solution and costs about the same.

These are just my opinions.

HAVOC2k5 said:
Opteron's have made their way into desktops due to their overclockability. You don't seem to be doing any overclocking. Which is fine and that CPU will serve you very well. Yet, if you are planning on overclocking, that RAM isn't the best choice, nor is that motherboard.
I've built with that MOBO many times and although it's a fantastic, solid, reliable MOBO... It's just not Overclocking quality. Sure it has some OCin' features, but it's not built like a DFI or a Newer ASUS.

May I recommend another thing, go with a SATA HDD, instead of a IDE HDD. There are too many reasons to explain.

These are just my opinions.

I'll check out the SATA HDD.

Can you link me to a motherboard you suggest?

1.) You don't need overclocking RAM to overclock the rest of your system. 2GB of unoverclocked RAM is better than 1GB of overclocked RAM.

2.) The MSI K8N Neo4 series are second only to DFI and a few other solo motherboards as far as overclocking goes. Then again, the motherboard itself doesn't matter that much, since I couldn't have gotten 2.7GHz out of my seemingly crappy motherboard.

3.) The Videocard Powercable comes out of the Power Supply.

"2GB of unoverclocked RAM is better than 1GB of overclocked RAM."

Why because of double the capacity? Just wondering?

Flanker don't you think that if gaming is his primary reason for building, he should go with a single core (3700+) & upgrade his 6800GS to a 7800GT? May-be a 2GiG kit of some value ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom