Graphics Card Temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephen_s

Baseband Member
I got a leadtek 6600gt agp and it is running at 43 degrees celsius idle but when playing games it goes up to 75. Is this too hot? Also, is there a way to make sure the fan is running at 100%?

Some kind of software could tell you the fan is going as fast as it could be... Asus boards along with others come with very intuitive software that enables you to do that... however 75 is about what my leadtek card runs at when its oc and playing games and such. i dont think its anything to be concerned about, but if it breaks 80 you have a problem (imho)

hope this helps

Thanks for the responses. Do you think it would be okay to overclock it or do you think it would raise the temp too high?

Here's what I would do (and am doing). Use ATI tool to overclock and scan for artifacts, see how high you can get without artifacts then back down to regular temps. Install some sort of fan pointing directly at the video card (or buy a premade one which is what i did, mines a vantec pci slot card that shoots air to the graphics card). Then see what temsp you get now at no OC, then oc some see how far you can get. After that back down 5-10 mhz and leave it there.

Download rivatuner or coolbits

Once you install it, up the core speed and mem speed 5-10mhz, apply it, run 3dmark or whatever your favorite game for a while. If you have no artifacts, the dots and slashes all over the screen, downclock a little bit.

I would recommend is running 3dmark03/05 prior to you OC'ing then once you finish your OC, run 3dmark again and see what kind of improvement you get

GPU's are supposed to withstand up to 100C temps, so once it gets around there, i would be looking into some better cooling and some AS5

Thanks again for the replies. I don't know if I will buy it but how much did that pci slot fan cost threepwood? I'll probably just overclock it a little without buying anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom