RAM in 2 slots; should they be the same type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

endeavor

Baseband Member
I currently have 2 ram slots with 2 256mb ram sticks in them. I want to upgrade my memory. Can I buy a 1 GB stick of RAM and replace 1 of the 256MB ram sticks, so that I would have 1 gb and 256mb of ram in both slots? Or do I have to buy RAM of the same size to put in both?

Also, do I have to buy RAM of the same type for both slots?

I have a Intel D845GVSR.
I looked in its manual, and so far I haven't found anything about it...

thanks NosBoost300!

I looked in my motherboard manual, and I need a 2.5V RAM, so that link you gave me wouldn't work (because it's 2.6V). My manual says: "2.5 V (only)...". But thanks anyways.

I got my motherboard manual off the "unofficial emachines tech info" website. I also looked at the one on the Intel site. They both seem to say 2.5 V, gold-plated contacts, unbuffered, and no ECC.

I'm sure I probably should use what these 2 manuals say... but can I use something different? Is "The only criteria [that] they must all be 'DDR 184pin'."? I dont think there would be much price difference anyway....

He's right about the 184 pin thing. Basically, any regular 184 DDR Ram should work. Get a good brand like Corsair, Kingston, OCZ, Patriot, ect.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom