Build your own Gfx Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0dge

Hiphopapotamus.
Sup Peeps,

Just wondering if anyone knows or has heard of anyone building or modding a graphics card that uses a standard processor. Would this be difficult to do? Does anyone fancy trying? What CPU would be best to use? Could I use my old 2600+?

A crazy concept? Possibly, but could be fun to try....

B

No. It wouldn't work. I gpu is totally different than a regular cpu. If you could do it, it would render very slowly because it was not made to render graphics. It would be like onboard video (if it was possible).

Hmmm, what about with a decent CPU like an overclocked Opteron or something? You could put about 2gigs of ram on it...

And what about modding a 9800 to have more memory, like a gig or something? Is that possible, and would it make much difference?

B

the memory on graphics cards is WAY faster than standard memory. The architecture on the gpu core itself is totally different than a desktop cpu..... every ran the cpu test on any of the 3dmark tests?That is what game performance would be like if you used a cpu as a gpu

Wow, I'm actually surprised by the knowledge of the previous posters :) Yea, they hit it spot on. The architecture of the GPU is designed solely to render graphics. Man, they gave all the good examples like that 3DMark test. But a CPU is basically like a Task Manager, theres no way the instructions sets given it could render graphics [very well]. Its just not done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom